What treat did your chickies get today?

Peas, chopped red and green peppers, and broccoli. I put it on the floor of the coop when they were still sleeping, so they woke up to a big surprise.
celebrate.gif

Oatmeal and raisens with a touch of greek yogurt. Sadly many, many people around the world don't get to eat as well as our hens. Nonetheless I love to spoil the girls.

A friend of mine gives her chickens what is in her compost bucket, but i don't know if i can give mine everything and anything because all i think about then is what is in the eggs and i thought i was trying to keep my eggs healthy. My question is that by giving them mac & cheese, chips, hot dogs, etc. isn't that making the eggs unhealthy?

A friend of mine gives her chickens what is in her compost bucket, but i don't know if i can give mine everything and anything because all i think about then is what is in the eggs and i thought i was trying to keep my eggs healthy. My question is that by giving them mac & cheese, chips, hot dogs, etc. isn't that making the eggs unhealthy?

sorry, i think i should have posted this on a different thread. i don't want to get this thread off track.

sorry, i think i should have posted this on a different thread. i don't want to get this thread off track.
No, I think you are posting on the right thread. We all know chickens love treats, and we are all learning. IMO...It may not be healthy to give such treats all the time, and just things like that. Processed. But probably, once in a while, mixed in with fresh greens, veggies and/or fruit....should be ok.
I do know salty foods ...i.e....chips..are not good for them. When I had some stale salted peanuts and sunflower seeds, I rinsed them off first, then let them dry before feeding.

Last edited:
A friend of mine gives her chickens what is in her compost bucket, but i don't know if i can give mine everything and anything because all i think about then is what is in the eggs and i thought i was trying to keep my eggs healthy.  My question is that by giving them mac & cheese, chips, hot dogs, etc. isn't that making the eggs unhealthy?

I'm not certain, but I would assume that their bodies pull out the good stuff to use in eggs, because that is their offspring

Back
Top Bottom