What treat did your chickies get today?

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned Rolled Oats), with a finely cut banana mixed in it. I give them this everyday when it's cold. (20 degrees and lower) I also gave them some cracked corn because they were bored and needed something to pick at. My chickens refuse to go out if there is even the slightest bit of snow on the ground, and yet they get snippy with me because they are bored. Lol

Last edited:
So.... Do you guys generally find it better to feed treats/leftovers in a dish, or straight on the ground? ..... also, can oatmeal be fed uncooked as well as cooked?

Mine got sliced up celery, halved pears and halved tomatoes today

So.... Do you guys generally find it better to feed treats/leftovers in a dish, or straight on the ground? ..... also, can oatmeal be fed uncooked as well as cooked?

Mine got sliced up celery, halved pears and halved tomatoes today

I've given my chickens (uncooked): whole-uncracked oats, cracked oats, instant oatmeal...and they've been happy with them.

As for leftovers....I use a pet bowl for foods that might attract varmints if left uneaten (stuff with meats, oils, fats). That way, the the chickens don't eat it, I can take it back and compost it elsewhere without fear of attracting bad night-animals. If it's veggie/starches without fats and oils, I jsut toss everything into the (currently) fallow garden bed for them to pick at. If they don't eat parts, it naturally composts itself into the garden bed.

Back
Top Bottom