What treat did your chickies get today?

I give my ten chicks a handful of very small dried fish (called "omena") on a morning and an equally small amount of stiff maize meal porridge in the afternoons. They have proprietary growers and layers feed available all day and free range in the garden so they enjoy the bugs etc.

CTKen- Interesting ...... "omena" is "apple" in the Finnish language ....... your avatar does not suggest that's where you are from, though. Where are you from?

Gosh, please don't ask for omena in Kenya - you'd be in for an unpleasant surprise!! Im not sure if its a Luo word (the Luo is a tribe on the shores of lake Victoria in western kenya, or a Swahili word - Swahili being the national language of kenya). Kenya has been home for 16 years, but i am originally from England.

A handful of scratch mix that included sweet potato, raisins, sunflower seeds, and then some peas later in the day. And this afternoon we went on our first great grasshopper hunt. I got into the long dry grass and flushed the hoppers onto the meadow where the chickens caught them. Not much funnier than a chicken trying to catch a grasshopper.

Back
Top Bottom