What treat did your chickies get today?

Today was a wonderful day for my chicks. They were introduced to their permanent home. They are out of the brooder pen and in the hen house! They loved being able to roam around in the coop. Even though we have taken them out almost everyday and let them play in the chunnel, it was a certain amount of freedom. They feasted on grass and clover, found a few bugs and in general had a great day. It was a little bit of a struggle to get them in the hen house, but they are in and hopefully happy. I guess I will see in the morning.

Whole ears of corn, parboiled. They were a hit with everyone!

Also sifted the frass out of a mealworm bin that had finally hatched its last beetle, then tossed the uneaten oats/dead mealworms/shed skins into the bedding for the pullets to pick through.

Left over birthday breakfast
1f642.png

My chickens have such a bland diet compared to all these treats...but it is interesting to learn about all the foods they can eat! So far I've tossed them veggies that didn't make it onto a plate, eggs shells from what I expect will be my last store bought eggs, oatmeal, Apple slices,and of course the obligatory mealworms!

Mine had leftover broccoli and leftover rice that has brown rice, Chia and orzo. My hubby keeps asking "can the chickens have this..."

The other day, I made some "chicken clusters" for ours!

thumbsup.gif

The recipe is my own, I used one can of Libby's plain pumpkin, 1 cup oatmeal, 3/4 cup raisins, a few tablespoons of birdseed (or scratch), tablespoon of cinnamon, one egg, a drizzle of molasses. Baked at 375 for about ten minutes and then topped with mealworms. :)

Back
Top Bottom