What treat did your chickies get today?

Oatmeal and eggs this morning, oregano water, kale, green beans, and rasberries for their evening snack. and the piggie had his morning tomatoes along with chips some beef fat plus whatever his daddy have him before he worked on the pen.

We hung a cabbage by a string. They like picking off it, and they chase it when it starts to sway a bit.

Hi, I was wondering how you feed the various fruits and veggies to your chickens? I bought a ball cage that I can put heads of things like cabbage, lettuce, or broccoli in but the spacing of the holes makes it hard to but smaller leafy things like spinach of small leaf lettuces. Do you just cut the pieces and throw them on the ground?

Thanks, Teri

Hi, I was wondering how you feed the various fruits and veggies to your chickens? I bought a ball cage that I can put heads of things like cabbage, lettuce, or broccoli in but the spacing of the holes makes it hard to but smaller leafy things like spinach of small leaf lettuces. Do you just cut the pieces and throw them on the ground?

Thanks, Teri

Some things I cut up and put in a pie plate. The chicks know this means snack time. Other things i just put on the ground...they ate some watermelon the other day down to the rind. Same thing for cucs.
Depends on what it is. If it's lots of little stuff the pie plate is easier for me.

I tried a mashed hard boiled egg with my 3 week olds, they had no interest. They acted like they were afraid to get muck stuck on their beaks. Even after sprinkling a little dry feed on top, they carefully picked out the feed. Only after leaving them for a few hours, after their FF ran out at the end of the day, they ate maybe 10%. I've also tried chopped grapes & strawberry without luck. Is there a way to encourage them to try new things? They appear almost afraid of any new food items I add. Or maybe it's just too early?

I tried a mashed hard boiled egg with my 3 week olds, they had no interest. They acted like they were afraid to get muck stuck on their beaks. Even after sprinkling a little dry feed on top, they carefully picked out the feed. Only after leaving them for a few hours, after their FF ran out at the end of the day, they ate maybe 10%. I've also tried chopped grapes & strawberry without luck. Is there a way to encourage them to try new things? They appear almost afraid of any new food items I add. Or maybe it's just too early?

Ha ha Your giving them healthy food, that's why. Try some chick grits and some bread they'll go crazy
1f61c.png

You should see them with pieces of leftover spaghetti noodles.

All it takes is one of them to figure out it tastes good, and the rest will copycat ;)

Mine fall all over each other whenever I go outside, they're so spoiled. They know that whatever it is I am getting ready to toss in there must be good. They balk at things sometimes, and kick it around but after they get curious enough it'll disappear.

I cleaned out the fridge, so yesterday they got meatloaf and potatoes, old yogurt, peaches, and pickles. Today they'll get a ham bone and whatever is in the freezer, mostly tomatoes and old meat, but there might be some freezer burned ice cream in there, score! :D

Dry oatmeal mixed with chopped raisins and live mealworms. Disappeared in a hurry. They also grazed ob the "lawn" for a while.
Leaving a head of broccoli in there today, staying in the coop due to wind and rain.

Back
Top Bottom