What treat did your chickies get today?

It was 11' w/ -6' wind chill... I made hot oat meal w/ chili pepper and sun flower seeds They chicka's loved it... the turkey's let it freeze
barnie.gif

I've only had my 3 half-grown girls for 4 days now so I'm still getting my self familiar again (after a 20 yr. hiatus) with the fun and joy of having my own chickens.

So today, they got the leftover spaghetti noodle treatment....one noodle at a time dropped thru the top of the run, then watching one of the girls pick it up and run away with it dangling in her mouth like a worm, with the other 2 in hot pursuit after her!

Oh, I am so going to enjoy having chickens again.....
ya.gif
especially when they make those cute little happy "purring" noises....

Steamed rice mixed with some left over ground venison and some banana chopped. My 6 week old chicks now run around the yard with my four adult chickens. I was surprised there was no fighting during the feeding as everybody got in on it!

Cooked oatmeal with grapes cut up & mixed in. Them for a late evening snack, a couple pieces of whole wheat bread. Spoiled chickens!!!

Today I was thinly slicing steak for subs and decided to give the girls some bits of fat, they were in heaven! I jokingly texted my son at work and said that he couldn't have a sub because I'd given all his meat to the chickens.

They got spinach!! Yesterday I tried giving them some alfalfa cubes (originally give horses)...soaked in water & broke up. NO GO...they turned their beaks up at it. They are spoiled when it comes to alfalfa because we have a huge section planted for the deer and they are use to grazing & nibbling on that. O'well they will just have to wait till spring for that!

Mine aren't crazy for the soaked alfalfa cubes either, so I snuck them into an omelet (including shells) with some black pepper. They also got blueberries and oatmeal. Sundays are special!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom