What treats do you give your chickens?

Pics

EverV

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
NJ
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I'm starting this thread to see what treats everyone gives their chickens (as stated in the title). As of now, I don't have a proper calcium container for my girls, so I make it up to them by giving them a daily bowl with baked & crushed egg shells and whatever table scraps/treats I have on hand. If I don't have table scraps, I'll make them something. #spoiled chickens. Today they got: half a mashed banana, some oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, cabbage, scratch, a couple chunks of stale bread, and a tiny bit of cinnamon for respiratory health (this isn't a regular thing). Sometimes I'll even scramble an egg for them and add that too. Aside from this, I'll occasionally give them some mealworms and wilting lettuce/kale. What does everyone else give their chickens?

@Melky , what's a molt muffin? I am intrigued. . .
I made a modified version from Lisa Steels recipe. It contains dried mealworms, peanut butter, black sunflower seeds, raisins, oatmeal etc. I put them in molds bake and freeze. Keeps my birds happy through the winter and helps during molt. Feather turnover creates loss of protein since they are like made of 80% protein. Keeps feathers beautiful and shiny during molt. Nice treat and my hens are never naked. They love them. ❤ Chicken Chick also has a version or two.
It goes like this.
Molt muffins:
2 cups of oatmeal, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1 cup sunflower seeds, 1 cup mealworms, 1/2 cup raisins.
Stir in 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup molasses to bind. Add to molds, bake at 325F for 20 minutes. Done ✅ :)

I add water to their feed and mix to a batter consistency. They LOVE wet feed. I sprinkle seeds or scrambled egg or fruit on top. So they are getting mostly proper feed.

in the summer, I wet it down in a large pan and add ice cubes so it stayed cold and adds water as the cubes melt.

generally all treats are fed after noon, and before 4 pm. So, they’ve eaten the right stuff to begin with them if they get a less nutritious treat, they are still good.

in the summer I’ll also give them melon rind. Blueberry chase is entertaining (throwing one or two so they run for it), same with grapes or tomatoes (cut in half or quarter). They love cabbage as well.

They get (about ever other day), weeds, A little leftover rice, meal worms, other chicken safe leftovers. Once I was holding one of my chickens and he ate a mosquito that was buzzing around my hand! They love tomatoes too.

Edit: raisins are a favorite
Mine have had big fights over beetles and huge grasshoppers :gig. They also love mosquitos and will chase one around their run.

I hung a cabbage up yesterday! They've already destroyed it. It looks like there was a cabbage massacre in the coop :lau
If you hang a purple cabbage it turns their poop BRIGHT green. Like almost
IMG_9643.jpeg
IMG_9644.jpeg
IMG_9642.jpeg
neon. LOL

I do not treat often as fat hens don’t lay as well but when I do I have given them as follows: Molt muffins with healthy proteins homemade, cabbage, carrot tops true love of theirs, garden leftovers, grown mixed greens from garden just for them, mixed berries and watermelon favorite treat. I also have provided fresh cut herbs for them grown from the garden. My old hen Hedy used to like to steal jalapeños from the garden oddly enough and only one like that. I also provide dried mealworms as good source of protein. Yum 😋 favorites!

Back
Top Bottom