What treats do you give your chickens?

the only things i’ve found that my girls don’t like, are bananas and broccoli. they will eat pretty much anything! (i always check to see if it’s safe for them first) but two of their most favourites are tomatoes and mashed potato, or anything to do with potato really. my two younger cockerels won’t eat half as much my pullets, but they are just different i guess haha, because they literally refuse to eat treats off the ground and want them ONLY from my hand.. they are also scared of bowls if i put them in their coop with treats in it. my chickens typically only get special treats (like leftovers and other things that aren’t exactly healthy for them) on the weekends, or sometimes right before they go in for the night. i usually toss them some mealies when i let them out in the morning and they’ve gotten used to that & get mad at me if i don’t do it :rolleyes:

the only things i’ve found that my girls don’t like, are bananas and broccoli. they will eat pretty much anything! (i always check to see if it’s safe for them first) but two of their most favourites are tomatoes and mashed potato, or anything to do with potato really. my two younger cockerels won’t eat half as much my pullets, but they are just different i guess haha, because they literally refuse to eat treats off the ground and want them ONLY from my hand.. they are also scared of bowls if i put them in their coop with treats in it. my chickens typically only get special treats (like leftovers and other things that aren’t exactly healthy for them) on the weekends, or sometimes right before they go in for the night. i usually toss them some mealies when i let them out in the morning and they’ve gotten used to that & get mad at me if i don’t do it :rolleyes:
Nice! Mine like bananas, but they'd much prefer something else. If mine had their way, they'd only eat mealies, but I'm super stingy with them and only give a small handful (by that I mean under 10 XD) every couple of days. I sometime give them treats from my hand, but when I run out of treats they get mad and bite me :lau . If I eat anything outside with them, they'll always find a way to get it. Sometimes one of them will distract me while the other grabs the food, and sometimes one of them will have jumped onto my lap, grabbed food, and jumped back down before I can blink. They're known to jump onto tables and eat both attended and unattended food. I sometimes joke that I have evil genius chickens.

Vegetables tend to work well; especially cabbage hung from the coop! Gives your birds plenty to do and keeps them quite entertained.
Other than that asparagus and green beans are particularly good.
For fruits, apples, mangos and anything easy to consume such as cucumber!

Vegetables tend to work well; especially cabbage hung from the coop! Gives your birds plenty to do and keeps them quite entertained.
Other than that asparagus and green beans are particularly good.
For fruits, apples, mangos and anything easy to consume such as cucumber!
I hung a cabbage up yesterday! They've already destroyed it. It looks like there was a cabbage massacre in the coop :lau

I hung a cabbage up yesterday! They've already destroyed it. It looks like there was a cabbage massacre in the coop :lau
If you hang a purple cabbage it turns their poop BRIGHT green. Like almost
IMG_9643.jpeg
IMG_9644.jpeg
IMG_9642.jpeg
neon. LOL

Back
Top Bottom