What treats do you give your chickens?

Pics
I will never do that, but I also know people who do, my chickens are “good” chickens, when a person offered them fresh chicken blood, none of mine would eat it ( but they will try eat anything which resembles raw meat, even if it is a scratch on my leg :eek: ) , she was surprised and said her chicken would go crazy over it

I gave my girls some ham after hearing that they enjoy it on here! It wasn't their absolute new favorite food, but they enjoyed it for sure!

I add water to their feed and mix to a batter consistency. They LOVE wet feed. I sprinkle seeds or scrambled egg or fruit on top. So they are getting mostly proper feed.

in the summer, I wet it down in a large pan and add ice cubes so it stayed cold and adds water as the cubes melt.

generally all treats are fed after noon, and before 4 pm. So, they’ve eaten the right stuff to begin with them if they get a less nutritious treat, they are still good.

in the summer I’ll also give them melon rind. Blueberry chase is entertaining (throwing one or two so they run for it), same with grapes or tomatoes (cut in half or quarter). They love cabbage as well.
Mine love scrambled eggs and meat scraps

I will never do that, but I also know people who do, my chickens are “good” chickens, when a person offered them fresh chicken blood, none of mine would eat it ( but they will try eat anything which resembles raw meat, even if it is a scratch on my leg :eek: ) , she was surprised and said her chicken would go crazy over it
Your "scratch on the leg" comment reminded me of something I read recently, about an elderly woman whose chicken pecked at a large varicose vein on her leg and she bled to death before she could get help. I always protect my legs because they can hurt us with no concept of doing so.

My babies are spoiled. lol. I give them mealworms/corn mix or wild bird seed twice a day just a cup. Since it’s winter I hang a cabbage in their house. I’ll add bread or crackers sometimes. I’ve put peanutbutter on pine cones and hung them up around the run. We put a pumpkin in this past fall. I’ve given them bananas. They love watermelon and cornflakes.
Mine love wild bird feed too I nicknamed it chicken candy. I give some or scratch as a treat daily. I got some farina given to me and they seem to love that too.

Our RiRs get a good helping of greens and a type of weed they seem to love from the yard, they also really like broccoli leaves and crowns, arugula and the mandatory dried mealworms crumbled up in their feed.

Hello! I'm starting this thread to see what treats everyone gives their chickens (as stated in the title). As of now, I don't have a proper calcium container for my girls, so I make it up to them by giving them a daily bowl with baked & crushed egg shells and whatever table scraps/treats I have on hand. If I don't have table scraps, I'll make them something. #spoiled chickens. Today they got: half a mashed banana, some oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, cabbage, scratch, a couple chunks of stale bread, and a tiny bit of cinnamon for respiratory health (this isn't a regular thing). Sometimes I'll even scramble an egg for them and add that too. Aside from this, I'll occasionally give them some mealworms and wilting lettuce/kale. What does everyone else give their chickens?
All table scraps(minus peanuts) bread(torn into tiny pieces) raisins , I cook grits in the winter and bird seed. They are crazy for mixed bird seed and it’s fun for them to clean the ground of ever last bit of millet.

Back
Top Bottom