What treats do you give your chickens?

Pics
Mine love this weed that grows wild around farm.

Attachments

• DSCN5855.JPG
    DSCN5855.JPG
    962.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN5899.JPG
    DSCN5899.JPG
    862.5 KB · Views: 3
My flock got fat on pasture seed, so they get few treats. Currently, they are getting fermented feed and either alfalfa sprouts or wheat sprouts. During molt they get beef liver. In the summer they get watermelon. I also recently discovered one LOVES fresh blueberries, so I’ll need to add them to the list! If I really need a good bribe, sunflower seeds or live meal worms do the trick, but those are quite rare. I had a starving hen (from molt) recently and tried all kinds of things. She ended up liking (unsalted) canned corn among other things (like live crickets!)
It's funny how some chickens have different tastes. My 2 girls ignore alfalfa sprouts. One of them is nuts over live meal worms, but the other one might or might not show any interest in them.

I cut the fat off chicken , pork or what ever and feed it to them, rolled oats in yogurt, bread, Mine also free range, all day, on a acre so get bugs and worms,
They jump up and ate my grapes from the vine. Chicken s eat almost every thing, mine get there grains also, and oyster shells,

Hello! I'm starting this thread to see what treats everyone gives their chickens (as stated in the title). As of now, I don't have a proper calcium container for my girls, so I make it up to them by giving them a daily bowl with baked & crushed egg shells and whatever table scraps/treats I have on hand. If I don't have table scraps, I'll make them something. #spoiled chickens. Today they got: half a mashed banana, some oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, cabbage, scratch, a couple chunks of stale bread, and a tiny bit of cinnamon for respiratory health (this isn't a regular thing). Sometimes I'll even scramble an egg for them and add that too. Aside from this, I'll occasionally give them some mealworms and wilting lettuce/kale. What does everyone else give their chickens?
My rooster especially loves banana, he gets 1/2 a banana every day (if the dog doesn’t get to it first). He is so obsessed that he even checks my fruit bowl sometimes to see if I have an opened one waiting for him. When I’m opening one he comes running fast!

I cut the fat off chicken , pork or what ever and feed it to them, rolled oats in yogurt, bread, Mine also free range, all day, on a acre so get bugs and worms,
They jump up and ate my grapes from the vine. Chicken s eat almost every thing, mine get there grains also, and oyster shells,
maybe I just read it wrong but you feed chicken to your chickens??

I usually make a mix of several healthy chicken treats. One example is: mashed banana, chopped apple, cinnamon, and flaked coconut. Another example: mashed banana, plain yogurt, cinnamon, hemp seeds, and fresh oregano. The chickens love the mix and are very happy.

Back
Top Bottom