What treats do you give your chickens?

@Melky , what's a molt muffin? I am intrigued. . .
I made a modified version from Lisa Steels recipe. It contains dried mealworms, peanut butter, black sunflower seeds, raisins, oatmeal etc. I put them in molds bake and freeze. Keeps my birds happy through the winter and helps during molt. Feather turnover creates loss of protein since they are like made of 80% protein. Keeps feathers beautiful and shiny during molt. Nice treat and my hens are never naked. They love them. ❤ Chicken Chick also has a version or two.
It goes like this.
Molt muffins:
2 cups of oatmeal, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1 cup sunflower seeds, 1 cup mealworms, 1/2 cup raisins.
Stir in 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup molasses to bind. Add to molds, bake at 325F for 20 minutes. Done ✅ :)

I make mash out of the crumbly dust leftovers from their pellets. That's the "treat for anytime," since it's their regular food. Then there are "treat-treats:" mealworms, BOSS, squash seeds and guts, melon seeds and guts, carrot pulp from juicing, apple bits, watermelon, and leftover food from our dinner, if it's appropriate.

The best treat in the summer is Japanese Beetles and grubs. The "it's just candy for them" treat is a bit of bread.

702222A6-5D98-4674-95C2-EFF16507C169.jpeg
FA728F2B-C472-4019-97AD-A38CA7A8192B.jpeg

I just came back from duck feeding! I gave them a big snack of mealworms, scratch, and peas. These are all thing that chickens like too.

I hooked up a cabbage 'tetherball for them yesterday and *finally* put out a egg shell container. They're going to be mad that they don't get many treats any more. We're planning on scattering a small handful of cranberries this afternoon to make it up to them.

Back
Top Bottom