What treats do you give your chickens?

Whatever leftovers we have from the day before! No avocado, sugar, or chicken - and nothing spoiled 😉 . Other than that, they are our lovely little compost bins.

HI LizzyJo.

What part of Northwest, Ohio? I am originally from Cincinnati, Ohio and would like to know. It is not often you meet someone from your area. Occasionally I think about a meet up with people but they are usually too far away. I am currently living in northern KY. Welcome by the way!

I have spoiled chickens, they only like meal worms which are still alive, and cabbage turnip leaves which i collect at the supermarket, I am not the only one unhappy, when I don’t get any :( they love cherries ( without pits!! one of my chickens died after eating too many cherries with pits) blueberries, apples and meat and crushed bones, they won’t touch pineapple, bananas ,linseeds, raisins or red cabbage.. they like sunflower seeds , corn on the cob and bread ( makes them fat) so they only get a little bit of that , I have a friend who liked fishing and gives me the fish which have too many bones, I boil them and then the chickens feast on fish
When it’s hot they cool down with refrigerated watermelon

Yes, I feel the need to add that traces of cyanide are in some pits of fruits or other harmful chemicals so never feed the pits. This includes apples, cherries etc. I just use fruits without pits is a better rule of thumb. Like blueberries or strawberries and I remove the seeds from watermelon. :)

HI LizzyJo.

What part of Northwest, Ohio? I am originally from Cincinnati, Ohio and would like to know. It is not often you meet someone from your area. Occasionally I think about a meet up with people but they are usually too far away. I am currently living in northern KY. Welcome by the way!
Hi! I am originally from Louisville (St. Matthews if you know the city) :) I moved here when I was in my early 20s. I live just south of Toledo. Nice to meet you!

Hi! I am originally from Louisville (St. Matthews if you know the city) :) I moved here when I was in my early 20s. I live just south of Toledo. Nice to meet you!

Oh how funny. I lived in Louisville for three years when out of college for nursing in 92' and worked at Kosair Children's Hospital in their NICU when in my 20s. We had a nursing hiring freeze up here at the time and you could not get a full time job in your field so went south for three years and came back to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital. My one regret is stepping out of nursing too soon without more advanced degrees but did my RN/APRN Masters degree then done. It is a hard job. I lived out a little from the city and know St. Matthews due to the Malls.

My favorite restaurant at the time was the Macaroni Grill we had a child then. I lived out near Bardstown about 30-40 minutes away from the city near the Gene Snyder Highway. All I can remember. I moved back home when jobs available here full time in healthcare. Toledo is a bit far from me 3-4 hours. Oh well we can chat online.:)

Yes, I feel the need to add that traces of cyanide are in some pits of fruits or other harmful chemicals so never feed the pits. This includes apples, cherries etc. I just use fruits without pits is a better rule of thumb. Like blueberries or strawberries and I remove the seeds from watermelon. :)
My chickens live in a fruit orchard. They eat apples, pears cherries, plums, mulberries, peaches and walnut scraps left by the overly fat squirrels. Chickens will eat dried cherries in one gulp, stem & all. I have never had any succumb to cyanide poisoning.
By the way, apples (and pears) do not have pits. A pit normally contains a seed and is a hard covering around the seed. A walnut has a hull, a pit and a seed, same as a peach or an almond. These are drupes, same as cherry and plum. Apples have seeds but no pit.

Yeah, I have heard mixed things about lots of table scraps for chickens (tomatoes, cherry pits, any food even slightly salty or processed, eg). I think a lot of it is personal comfort level. Things like cyanide poisoning are highly unlikely, but they're still a possibility. Originally, I was only going to give my chickens leftover fruit/veggies, but once I started reading on here and saw that so many people treat their chickens with leftovers and bread without any adverse results, I became slightly less reserved.

Back
Top Bottom