What type of plywood to build a coop

Ronan0404

Hatching
Jul 4, 2018
I’m interested in building a coop and I’m not sure what type of plywood to use. I’m not sure what thickness of plywood or should I use chip board or normal plywood I think it’s called sheath board

I think by chip board you are referring to OSB (oriented strand board) or maybe particle board. You can use either of those if they won't be exposed to moisture and they aren't particularly good for the floor.
If you don't plan on covering the sides with a weather proof siding, you at least need an outdoor type sheeting. The thicker the better. Underbuilding means your work won't last very many years.

How many birds do you have, where do you live and how big will the coop be?

I used 3/4" CDX plywood painted with exterior paint and sealed the floor with Blackjack. I wouldn't use chip board/OSB as it soaks up moisture and expands.

Easier to use the thicker T111 board & stain it instead of painting for easy maintenance. Stain comes in all colors & doesn't have to be scraped to repaint like paint. T111 isn't as great as it once was, but I have it on my coop for 25 years & only a bit is finally starting to split.

Easier to use the thicker T111 board & stain it instead of painting for easy maintenance. Stain comes in all colors & doesn't have to be scraped to repaint like paint. T111 isn't as great as it once was, but I have it on my coop for 25 years & only a bit is finally starting to split.
True, but CDX ply is thicker and cheaper and I wanted the look of paint to match my house.

The type of wood you use depends on the design of your coop. Most types of sheet goods like OSB and plywood come in many thicknesses and the thickness depends on the application. Particle board is used to make inside stuff like book shelves and is not rated for construction projects. Plywood has many ratings which indicate the surface quality you will see the CDX, AC, BC etc. ratings for plywood. Plywood is the only flat good that is available in pressure treated for use in wet locations. OSB sub flooring is used in millions of homes...

Add your location to your profile so we know your weather patterns.

Do you have a design in mind? Please note you will not find any "cute" coops that you find online to be worth a darn.

Read about the Woods Modern Fresh Air Poultry House and search for the Victory Coop for ideas.

JT

I don't know what kind of coop your building, I used Smart Side.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SmartSide-...-Engineered-Treated-Wood-Siding-Panel/3058153

thumbnail (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom