What type of worm are these?

Darn it! I am leaving town tomorrow morning, returning late Sunday evening. I was just in the coop and looking and I did not see these clumps on the few I was able to check. How do I treat for lice? I've had chickens for 7 years and I've never wormed or had this issue. I guess I have been lucky. In your opinion, can I wait until I return to deal with this or should I postpone leaving? And are eggs effected? Meaning, are they okay to eat?

Kathy, I certainly appreciate all your advice. I'll actually be driving through Gilroy tomorrow!

Darn it! I am leaving town tomorrow morning, returning late Sunday evening. I was just in the coop and looking and I did not see these clumps on the few I was able to check. How do I treat for lice? I've had chickens for 7 years and I've never wormed or had this issue. I guess I have been lucky. In your opinion, can I wait until I return to deal with this or should I postpone leaving? And are eggs effected? Meaning, are they okay to eat?

Kathy, I certainly appreciate all your advice. I'll actually be driving through Gilroy tomorrow!
They lice treatment can wait until you return. Get some poultry dust and duct them with it.

-Kathy

Do the rest of the bird look healthy? If so, then treatment can wait. Spend some time reading posts about how people treat their birds and coops for lice and mites.

-Kathy

Oh, you might want to go check your coop tonight and see if you can see and mites crawling around on the birds or their perches.

-Kathy

I just checked all 7. I do not see any lice infestations like the picture I posted and I did not see any scurrying around. That does not mean they are not there as some put up quite a protest and the lice could have hidden in the process. I did notice red bare bottoms. Normally hard to see, but when held and turned it is evident. I've had this before and after searching, I couldn't find what it is. The gals don't seem to be bothered so I stopped worrying about it. Could that be mites?

And I'm concerned about consuming their eggs. Are they safe to eat?

I just checked all 7. I do not see any lice infestations like the picture I posted and I did not see any scurrying around. That does not mean they are not there as some put up quite a protest and the lice could have hidden in the process. I did notice red bare bottoms. Normally hard to see, but when held and turned it is evident. I've had this before and after searching, I couldn't find what it is. The gals don't seem to be bothered so I stopped worrying about it. Could that be mites?

And I'm concerned about consuming their eggs. Are they safe to eat?
Eggs are safe to eat. When you get back from your trip, check them again for lice and mites.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom