What variety of Marans chicks are brown?

MSN55

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
My rooster and hens are Black Copper Marans. I also got some hens from someone who said they were BCM. I have been experimenting with incubators and hatched some of their eggs. I have researched forever it seems to find out what some of the hatchlings are. I have BCM that hatched along with some chicks that are almost mahogany color. What do you think these chicks might be?

looks close to a welsummer, but not quite. I have been breeding Black copper Marans for years and have never seen this color. There has got to be a cross up somewhere in the genetics. I have never seen a mahogany / brown in marans. I am not saying there is not a marans breed with these colors, just not seen from pure Black Copper Marans.
Some other breed in mind with feathering on the legs would be Cochins & Brahma's. I would like to see a picture of the parents to get a better idea. Good luck.

My rooster and hens are Black Copper Marans. I also got some hens from someone who said they were BCM. I have been experimenting with incubators and hatched some of their eggs. I have researched forever it seems to find out what some of the hatchlings are. I have BCM that hatched along with some chicks that are almost mahogany color. What do you think these chicks might be?

Wheaten?

Thanks for the help. My camera has not been working. I think if I post a pic of the hens I might get an idea of what breed is mixed in. I had just wondered if maybe this was a brown marans I know my rooster is purebred BCM so the chicks are at least half. This pic is of my flock back in June. Before my camera quit! The 4 "offbrand" hens were at this time still looking like BCM. As they have gotten older brown flecks all over their body and one had her whole head turn brown 3rd from bottom counter clockwise. I had no plans to breed these hens except to practice incubating eggs. The chicks should make nice barnyard chickens for someone.

These chicks are eb brown locus based. Someone has crossed to an eb based breed. There is no eb Brown locus in Marans. There is foreign blood in these chicks and their ancestors.
I saw chicks like this when I was trying to breed Golden Salmon Marans from bought eggs. In that case, it probably came from crossing Golden Salmon with Welsummer in an unsuccessful attempt to further someone else's Golden Salmon breeding program. You can tell these are eb Brown birds by the total brown head. If there was eWh (Wheaten); or e+ (wildtype as in Golden Salmon) in them, there would be dorsal stripes somewhere on the birds ( head or back) , but never the totally brown head. In other cases, the eb Brown chicks is known by its "brown helmet". The head has a brown "cap" on it as opposed to the dorsal head stripe of the e+ (wildtype) chick.
See pics of eb and e+ chicks: http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:

if their mother was infact BCM then this chicks must be ER at the elocus with Db(dark Brown) as a Restrictor, Db does change the chicks down from black to...Dark brown(Db)..

. I have this chick it is suppose to be a blue marans chick it has different coloring than the rest of my marans chicks

Where did you get your chicks from? I've hatched nearly 600 - 700 Marans chicks in 2013 and I have occasionally seen them show up. They look like a cross between a BCM and a Wheaten. They turn into really pretty hens.

Back
Top Bottom