what was my rooster?

janvansickle

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2015
hi guys..seems I always have questions and this might be impossible. I had a rooster, wasn't real big but he was a fighter. Looked a lot like the Old Game chickens or the Favorelles. He had that pretty white feathers hanging off his neck like the Favorelles but he had the biggest spurs I have seen. Where I live is dangerous for chicks but Pimp Daddy kept away hawks, raccoons, fox, owls and probably more I didn't see him fight. The ladies loved him and I enjoyed when he would separate once and sing to her. What I want and need is another rooster that can protect his ladies like Pimp did. He's gonna need those long spurs and have an attitude..lol altho Pimp was good with people. I finally lost him to an eagle and so got rid of my chickens. I couldn't save him but now I am ready to try again. Any suggestions for a burly, manly rooster like I had is appreciated. thank you all.....jan
idunno.gif

You might try to look at hatchery websites. .there you can look at pictures to see what you think you had or want.. also byc has the breed list.maybe look thru there too

thank you but I have spent hours on the internet going thru backyard chickens, mother earth and others as well as at least 10 hatcheries. He was a "warmer" in a box or crevecours I had ordered. Probably a mix and no more like him. I do need a strong protector..any suggestions are welcome :) jan

welcome-byc.gif

I'd suggest something in the game bird family, especially if you're only going to have the one rooster. American game, old English game or some Oriental/Asian game....I think any of them would work well for you. Doesn't have to be the exact same breed you had. From what you're saying, I think your rooster was a silver duckwing color, but that color is available in several breeds. Colored like this?

Oh wow..he almost looks just like him!! Does he have those huge nasty looking spurs? Pimp always used them fighting. I know the other breed you mentioned and you are right..between these 2, I'm not sure. How is yours personality wise?
wee.gif

I agree with donrae. I had a couple of Silver Pheonix roos and they were the best roos. Very caring of their hens and usually let them eat all the treats. When they found something they would call for them to come. Also very protective when it came to other roos.

My Eric is a barnyard mix. Half Welsummer, a little Orpington, some New Hampshire, some barred Rock. It's just the color that's the same. I'm betting if you look at silver duckwing American game, that might be your guy.

Eric has very impressive spurs, but he's going to be 3 in the spring. He accidently got my Honey on the arm when we were moving them at night recently. Not trying to spur him, just flailing around cause Honey didn't have a good grip on him and he's a huge bird. Honey got a nice 2 inch scratch on his inner bicep. Not deep enough to stitch, but we sure kept an eye on it for a few days. He's never, ever done anything aggressive to us, and I don't free range due to dogs and predators. But if he wanted to hurt something he's more than capable.

I've only had a few game hens, never a rooster so I really can't speak to temperament. you should talk check out some of the game bird threads, or talk to someone like centarchid.

Back
Top Bottom