What was your high school like?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I was at a bowling alley with my kids today when a group of teens from the high school across the street came in. That high school happens to be the one I went to. One kid was wearing a letter jacket and the graduating year on it suddenly made me realize that my 15 year reunion is coming up next year! Ack!

My high school has grown quite a bit since I graduated and I was thinking about how since we homeschool, it's possible that my kids will never even go to a high school like mine. It made me wonder what high school was like for others. There were just over a thousand students in my class my freshman year and by the time we got to graduation, my class had 888 people in it. Total school enrollment was over 4000 students, and I have no idea what the enrollement is now, but I know the school has grown.

When I moved to California in 8th grade, I had never been to a campus-style school before. In the passing period between classes, you walked outside to different buildings depending on what class you had, and most classrooms opened directly outside, not into a hallway. Always before, I had gone to schools that were just one big building. All schools that I have been to here in California are campus-style, even the elementary schools.

In high school, there was a cafeteria, but almost no one actually ate in it. We all ate outside in the "quad" sitting on the grass. Many of our classes were held in portables because there simply wasn't enough building space for all the classes. We didn't have lockers, we carried everything we needed for the day around with us. I had a locker in jr. high when I lived in Wisconsin, but at my high school, they had had too much trouble with people keeping drugs or other undesirable things in them so they removed them all a few years before I got there.

The languages you could take were spanish, french, and german. A far cry from the japanese, russian, chinese, french, german, and latin that was offered at the high school my older brothers went to. I was highly dissapointed that there was no orchestra offered as I had played cello for many years previous to that. There was band and chorus however.

So, what was your high school like?

I don't remember much of High School,
21259_smoking-marijuana-031.gif

but here is a picture
21259_tacoma_-_stadium_high_school_pano_01.jpg

Stadium High School, Tacoma Washington

My post is nasty mean... sorry ahead of time.
Hayward High School
1633 East Ave.
Hayward, CA
It was a awful school in the 90's, most likey still is.
I remember my boyfriend (now husband) being shot at in the parking lot because of skin color.
I think the area has tried to recover I have seen new buildings coming up, but I still know some of the people we went to highschool with are still living there or in prison. And the buildings shortly stay nice looking. If we could have relived that part of our lives, we would have dropped out and moved to Idaho before graduation. I have no pride in the highschool we attended and feel sorry for the parents who have to send there children there because they dont have the money to send them to better schools.

Last edited:
I graduated in 2003 with a class size of 14 which in this school was a big class. The school I went was a Private christian school which was a pretty good school. I started at this school in kindergarten and graduated from the same school. My only issue with the school was the uniforms and I know alot of people love them but they were only started about 1 year before I graduated and the reason for them was "clingy material" was in at that time and the girls were taking advantage of that. Oh well. I still go back and talk to some of my old teachers and the principle because she is still head of the school.

My high school was pretty cool and laid back. I graduated from Key West High in 86. We had about 5 wings that held classes. Only 1 had AC. We had really awful lunches. I used to walk to this little cuban restaurant everyday for lunch my senior year. It was great. Sports was a pain though. It took a 4 hour bus ride towards Miami to get even close to another high school, not counting the one in Marathon. We had a large school since it was the only public high school for the lower keys.

Peninsula High School!

It's the hippie school of Gig Harbor, Washington. I liked it, actually. Not LOVED, just liked. The teachers were nice, and there were no problems with social circles. But the incoming freshman destroyed that, they had cliques like NO TOMORROW. We (the senior class) were so much more laid back than they were.

There was no parking, and the people who got to school early (5:00am) for practice got all the good spots. Football was no big deal, swimming and track were the popular sports. Cheerleaders did NOT rule. It was okay to talk to your teacher not in class. Cars were mostly held together with duct tape. The rival high school did not have their own football field, so they had to use ours. School lunches were good.

So anyway. Not the best time of my life, but not too bad, either. I just appreciate how lucky I am compared to many others.

Back
Top Bottom