What was your high school like?

Quote:
You graduated from SHS??? When did you graduate?

I knew where that was before even seeing the caption! Stadium HS is just miles from my house. I wanted to go there soooo bad it hurt. Wilson HS girl here.

My HS graduating class had about 370 kids in it. It felt big, but not huge. I didn't know everyone but recognized most. My class was one of those that teachers live for but only come along every 20 years (those were the words of a teacher of mine). My classmates were bright, very bright. I had a 3.8 or 3.9 something and wasn't in the top 20 of my class.

In the past 15 years:
The 1st elementary school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.
The 2nd elementary school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.
The junior high school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.
The majority of the high school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.

Only my college remains.

I went to Goodhue High School in Goodhue,MN. It hasnt changed much, same small town farming community, small classes, the usual cliquishness (is that a word??lol) of a place where many of the families have been there forever.
Its not a BAD school, but I was a shy kid and caught a lot of crap.

Quote:

I knew where that was before even seeing the caption! Stadium HS is just miles from my house. I wanted to go there soooo bad it hurt. Wilson HS girl here.

My HS graduating class had about 370 kids in it. It felt big, but not huge. I didn't know everyone but recognized most. My class was one of those that teachers live for but only come along every 20 years (those were the words of a teacher of mine). My classmates were bright, very bright. I had a 3.8 or 3.9 something and wasn't in the top 20 of my class.

In the past 15 years:
The 1st elementary school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.
The 2nd elementary school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.
The junior high school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.
The majority of the high school I attended was torn down & rebuilt.

Only my college remains.

Lol, I knew it too. And I totally know what you mean about schools being rebuilt. My elementary, middle and high school are either totally new or really different. I was so sad about my middle school. It was really pretty before they tore it down! All made of brick, built between WWI and WWII. It had character. Now it's this new monstrosity, less then 10 years old and the floors are already sagging. You can't even find any pictures of the old one, it's all erased.

/rant

Potterwatch, I grew up in California and my high school was just like yours only about half the size with 400 or so in my graduating class. That was 1998.

Private all-girls' boarding school. Depending, this may conjure visions of gym teachers in training or lingerie pillow fights. I can assure you that neither happened. Mostly we went to class with zit medicine daubed on our faces, unwashed hair, and rumpled uniforms, to the sound of teachers shouting at us to tuck in our blouses.

There was one official study hall per day, from which you were excused if you were on the honor roll. The rest of your day was chock-full of classes, no matter what. If you had already taken the course series, they'd make up a new course for you.

Math and science were pushed. I took multiple languages and advanced history to fill my day. On weekends I took science seminar classes at the local college. Freshman English classes started with writing thesis papers and sort of worked its way up from there. Then they filled up any remaining time with extracurricular clubs (newspaper, yearbook, cooking, theater, music, student council, class fundraisers, Bible study, Prom organizers, fine arts, photography, I forget what else). If you still had some spare time, somehow, they sent you to the school library to study. Or they'd give you extra homework and call it Honors Study.

You were only allowed to have a job in summers. Fortunately, summers were long. I had a part-time job on the side anyway, in the "recreation" hours on weekends.

Being a private school known for getting kids into college, there were lots of wealthy students, of which I was not one. I was on scholarship. Some of the wealthy students were snotty, some weren't; I kept in touch with some friends long after we had all graduated from college. The key to avoiding the wrath of the snotty kids was pretty much having services to trade (I tutored students in French and Latin) and not completely looking like you were poor. Since everyone wore uniforms, that was fairly easy, but I know other scholarship girls from the wrong side of the tracks never quite "got it"--one girl was always crying that she was being bullied because she was a day student who lived at home and couldn't afford showers. She could have used the school showers, there were plenty of bathrooms everyone used after gym class.

The school was apparently haunted by a young alumna who had perished of scarlet fever. Other than being woken up at odd hours by ghostly footsteps, she wasn't much of a bother. The teachers agreed she existed.

It was a welcome change from public school, where I had been bored nearly to death.

i went to both vicksburg and warren central high school and both were Getto! i can't count how many time i got pick pocketed , i even caught one guy right in front of a teacher and said call someone! she told me to go to class, it's his money now and i should hide it somewhere better next time!

needless to say dd will NEVER go to these public schools!

Quote:

1980, I lived over on G st way back then. Went on to WSU, did a Fellowship at Shannon Point Marine Center and the U. of Victoria.

1988 graduate of Stafford Sr. High in Stafford VA.

School was...school.
hmm.png
We had the typical "preps, jocks, punks, heads, skaters, etc"

I remember when "breakin'" was a way to fight vs. fists
gig.gif
- parachute pants, jelly shoes, jazz shoes
big_smile.png
, leg warmers, boxer shorts *yes..like in your dads*, big hair, acid wash jeans, etc etc etc...

Oh gawd..and MEMBERS ONLY JACKETS!
sickbyc.gif

That being said.. I was friends with a mix of everyone - and no.. I have no pictures of my punker days... (thanks Daddy!)
big_smile.png

I was homeschooled.

However we did have a county home school group, who did a senior trip and sports and stuff like that. We had a graduation ceremony, I think there was like 16 people? in it. My sister was only 2 years after me and there was nearly 30 people in her graduating class. I thought it was odd how fast it had doubled.

Back
Top Bottom