What was your McMurray Mystery Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hope this is the right section for this question...

I just placed my first order ever with McMurray and I opted for the free mystery exotic. For those of you who have received the Mystery chick, what did it turn out to be, breed and gender? Curiosity is killing me about what mine will be...

2. Dannyjohnson88

Dannyjohnson88 New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Dothan, Al.
    Too bad we will never know on our recent order. Our Mystery chick was DOA.

3. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    I got some chicks from them a few years ago ( 25 pullets from the brown egg layer assortment ) and my free rare chick turned out to be a white ameraucana rooster.

4. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    I am still trying to figure it out! We got our order on Februar 2nd,...10 days ago... I have 16 buff orpingtons, 10 americanas, and the mystery bird who is lighter (more yellow than buff) and bigger than the buff orpingtons, and has gray legs. Would love to find a definitive answer... need to post a picture of him here and see what the experts think... Enjoy your chicks!

5. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I never ordered personally form McMurray, but I receieved a chick a few years ago that was a free 'exotic' from Meyers hatchery. The chick came with an order of 50 broilers, so it was outgrown fast, and adopted by me.
    The chick turned out to be a rooster, and his breed was a mystery for a while, but he was later identified as a Silver-Spangled Hamburg. Pretty rooster, but had a temper... I think many of the 'free exotic' chicks are just sexed roosters that the hatchery can't sell. But sometimes, you get lucky, and recieve a pullet, too!

6. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    my would of ben a silver laced wyandotte, 10 were doa the others died within 48 hours. wish you luck with your order.

7. tasha9280

tasha9280 New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    I think we have a buff brahma, but still comparing pictures. The legs are feathered and is speckled brown and yellow on the head. We are very excited to have our first order of chicks and unfortunately lost one today. I'm watching them constantly, don't want to lose anymore!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by