What was your worst mistake as a chicken keeper?

Pics
Why a rooster only flock? What is the benefit of a flock of roosters? I ask because I love my rooster but he gave me 5 more that are going to crow any day. I don’t mind the crowing. I just don’t want the fighting that I am anticipating.
Personally, the benefit for me is that I can keep all my pet chickens rather than only half. Other people keep rooster flocks as temporary solutions to fighting and over-mating, or for extra genetics for breeding projects. If you want to keep your roosters but want to avoid excess fighting, they do do fight less without hens around.

I'm gonna guess it's because they are sick and already a little hypothermic and the bathing cools them off more and sends them over the edge.

Bottom line, sick birds should never be bathed. Sick birds need to be kept in a warm room and have their hydration level corrected first.

If you have a sick one with mites or lice, use a permethrin powder, do not use a spray.
Noted! I will remember this. Thank you for the info! First time chicken owner trying to learn all the things to possibly avoid medical catastrophes. There is sooooooo much to learn!!

1. What did you do? Actually, it's what I DIDN'T do: There were a lot of spiders and webs in the nesting area, and I wasn't paying attention at how many there were. I forgot to kill the spiders and sweep away their webs.
  2. What were the consequences? My favorite Buff Orpington hen, Rose was bitten by a Black Widow during the night and died the next morning.
  3. Did you fix it? How? Sadly, I was too late. Early the next morning, she was laying on the ground, floppy and gasping. I tried to give her some silver, but she wouldn't swallow. Then she started to convulse, and a few moments later, she died.
  4. What did you learn? (1) Check for spiders often (2) Give your hen Benadryl if she is bitten by a spider (one of my Australorps acted the same way as Rose, but not as bad. I caught her in time and I gave her Benadryl. Thankfully, she pulled through!
Omg YIKES!!!! I would be completely freakinggggg out holy cow!!!

So sorry for your poor girl 😥😥

I’d love to keep them but the only other area I have is a small introduction run that is part of the main run just portioned off with wire fence. It has a small coop. I’m assuming a rooster flock can’t be seeing the hen flock with only a wire fence between them. I’m not looking forward to the alternative.

1. What did you do?
  2. What were the consequences?
  3. Did you fix it? How?
  4. What did you learn?
1: giving my SS hen Riju her first noodle! 😁
2: She won't leave you alone for anything if she knows you have a dish of noodles!:lau
3: I haven't fixed it, since there really isn't any way to make her stop liking them, and if they make her happy, I'm happy because I love that hen!🤗
4: I learned that she has a heart after my own!♥️

Getting the damn things in the first place 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ now it made me buy ducks!, i guess next is frikin turkeys
chicken GIF

I’d love to keep them but the only other area I have is a small introduction run that is part of the main run just portioned off with wire fence. It has a small coop. I’m assuming a rooster flock can’t be seeing the hen flock with only a wire fence between them. I’m not looking forward to the alternative.
I don’t have experience with it, but other people have kept successful rooster flocks in full view of the hens. You could also try using plywood to block their view if you’re really hoping to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom