What were your worst mistakes when you first started?

Pics
Lots of people thought my taking on old hens was a mistake, because they would have health issues (mine had scale leg mites and one, a bad abcess that soon meant she had to be dispatched), poorer eggs (they'd been badly fed before I got them) and simply wouldn't live long enough for me to enjoy them. They were wrong. It just made me want to have more chickens.
An acquaintance of mine has started an enterprise for rescuing battery hens and finding homes for them.
One thing that people assume is that they are poorly fed. That is just not the case. They don't get to forage like backyard and free range chickens but they are well fed. Virtually every large egg producer has their own local feed mill. The trucks run from the wee hours and all day running feed directly to the farms. Those chickens get feed within 24 hours of when it was milled.
That's fresher than any small holder's chickens can get.
Their bottom line depends on egg production. Feeding chickens poorly will put them out of business.

An acquaintance of mine has started an enterprise for rescuing battery hens and finding homes for them.
One thing that people assume is that they are poorly fed. That is just not the case. They don't get to forage like backyard and free range chickens but they are well fed. Virtually every large egg producer has their own local feed mill. The trucks run from the wee hours and all day running feed directly to the farms. Those chickens get feed within 24 hours of when it was milled.
True. I take in ex battery. Weight is normally not bad, depending on underlying conditions (which in fairness can be many). The real problem I find is it takes a little time for them to take to using grit, so within the first 24hrs you are dealing with crop issues if they can access Anything other than layers pellets. But they are brilliant little creatures.

Their bottom line depends on egg production. Feeding chickens poorly will put them out of business.
What's more, health issues often arise because these hens are then allowed to free range without any time period in which to acclimatise to their new diet and the pathogens that are found in natural ground.

My deepest regret is not putting my foot down when my dad decided how my coop should be built. Now I'm stuck with a coop that I despise and I can't get rid of it without hurting his feelings, and it's built in such a way that I really can't even modify it either.

Perhaps just letting him know that a different coop would be much better for all concerned "now" that you have had some experience with this flock/coop? Hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom