WHAT WILL FIX PASTY BUTT???

Not seeing any blood or mucous but I will post some after I let them out tonight & see what y'all think of it. I can get a pic now of the ribbon like that I see in the coop. Never though of posting pics...duh Thanks for the responses! I hope I can hold both of them & check their vents tonight when hubby gets home. They are just getting used to us & being out in the yard free ranging for that hour before bedtime. Their back fluffy feathers are so neat & clean on the outside but it's worth trying to check.

Here is the best pic I could get of the poop, it looks a little reddish in the pic, not sure why it's showing up that way, the chickens show up as real orange & they aren't either...but they are real hot, have shade over them & running a fan for them..worried about them being so hot (just got a new camera guess I have to look at some settings...lol )

I'll try to get some better pics after the sun goes down, maybe that will make a diference.

Thanks. No, the only thing they get is Purina Layena I think the name is. That's what the guy we bought them from had them on so we stayed with that. This ribbon like stool has just been for the past 3 days now. Color is the same as a normal poop, just the size of it is not normal in my estimation.

Well, it isn't pasty. I checked both of them & they are clean as a whistle so I guess I'll take my questions to another forum....lol Thanks SO much for all your help guys.
D.gif

I realize that this is an old thread, but very useful! I have a chick that started having pasty butt and was very upset about it. I would be to, if it was me!

I'd tried washing, but it just came back. This morning, I washed, clipped and oiled the chick in question. She's doing much better! No more stressed crying and she's "fighting" the slightly older birds for the "best" spot at the feeder now. I never would've thought to clip a chicken's backside, if not for this thread. Watching her do her chicken things, the clipping seems to have helped immensely.

ok what i did was run there bum under luke-warm water. Next, towel dry it and on low heat take a blowdryer and finish drying there bum. put triple antibiotic on it and that should do it
smile.png

We are brand new at this and have 1 of our 4 with pasty butt for 2 days now. We have been trying to clean with a wet cloth but not much is happening. Tried to pull the plug initially but it seemed to hurt her too much, I have seen someone mention soaking, but how do you go about that and for how long? Should I put some grit in the pen? Even though they are so young?

I got 4 chicks from a local breeder who has show chickens. 2 have pasty butt. A few days ago, knowing NOTHING about this issue, I used a warm washcloth to clean the vent of one. She lost some down. When I checked them the next morning, she was dead:-( I googled the issue as the other chick, Mojo, has the same problem. 1-Hold the chick in your hand and put its bum under warm running water. 2-Let the water soften the poo. 3-Gently remove the poo from the down. 4-Towel dry, as best you can. 5-Use hair dryer on warm, low setting until completely dry. It sounds like a lot, but it was super easy! I hope she does better! I also read that you can use Vaseline, but this was so easy, I don't think I'm ready to try it yet. Now if I can just get her to grow! She is quite a bit smaller than the others. Hope this helps! Good luck with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom