WHAT WILL FIX PASTY BUTT???

Lollipop - you might want to go back and take a look at how your pasted message is worded. It might just be me, but it comes across like you are a god-given authority on pasty butt (hmm, do I sense a new potential avatar here for you? Just wait until April 1...
tongue.png
). I appreciate your sharing your experience, but IMHO it is good to put in disclaimers and explain that it worked for you...

My own experience was that more chicks came down with pasty butt while using molasses (which I did for one day based on your advice), but it cleared up soon after I switched to Apple Cider Vinegar. With molasses the poo was indeed runnier / stickier. To me that is the definition of pasty butt? Using molasses, the pasty butt may work its way through the flock, but it may do that regardless of the molasses. With the ACV the problem stopped. Next time you have chicks, you might want to give this newfangled ACV cure a try.
smile.png
I am sure it is not the only way, either but it worked for me.

Davearoo - interesting perspective on feed. Might try it next time around. Thanks for sharing that. I'm also using a heat emitter with my chicks and have been worried about them not getting food/water as they need it. I'm also using a seedling heat mat under the brooder (radiant heat floor for chicks!). They seem to really like this, and it uses only 17 watts of electricity.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
pasty rear end is from either too high heat in brooder
or you need this recipe
1 gallon of crumbles
1 cup of play school sand and do not feed any thing but this till the chichen id okay
email me PM any questions

in answer to using oatmeal for pasty rear ends is wrong

FOR DIARRHEA
use 1 cup of oatmeal dry
to a gallon of crumbles
this is used when chickens have diahrrhea

pasty rear ends is
1 gallon of crumbles
1 cup of play school sand

yes it is good for beding as chick eat some of it and do not gret pasty rear ends

to the lady who did not buy the leghorns with pasty rear ends

it is not a disease it is a husbandry problem
the one taking care of them is keeping them too hot generally

What about pasty butt for adult chickens? when it gets bad I will wash off her butt and remove all the poo but then after a while the poop will start collecting on her butt again..... She has had this problem for maybe a year. None of the other chickens have this problem and no matter what she eats, chick food or layer, she has poop butt. Frankly after a while it just is not fun to wash her butt any more
barnie.gif

The oatmeal worked for mine and they are all alive and well. Never had issues with it after giving oatmeal a few times. I did alot of reading before I used the oatmeal and that is the remedy I chose. Thank goodness it worked for mine.

Doesn't anyone here use probiotics? The things that are working for you all varied a lot and probably none of them are exactly wrong but it's better to prevent than treat I think. I start mine with a probiotic. You can buy probiotic tablets and crush them or capsules and pull them apart to mix with the chick starter. Chicks are like most all living animals and are born, er hatched, with a sterile gut. They pick up the things they need for start up from the soil when they're raised on the ground with mamma hen but from the incubator to the brooder, it's another story. We keep things so nice and clean that they may not get what they're needing, which is the normal flora that the bowels need to properly digest any of the food we give them.

I think that is why there is so much controversy over what is working here. It may be that none of the solutions were right, they just happened to have been successful about the same time the chicks gut got the normal bacteria it needed.

If anyone is interested, there are companies that produce these natural probiotics for all livestock, including chickens. I usually just use the over the counter type probios but the Western Yeast Company grows it's probios on cornmeal so it's very easy to add to the feed mix. Google Western Yeast Company and read all about it. I think you'll all find a new favorite. It's sold in larger amounts than many of us might need so if anyone is interested in buying a smaller quantity, please send me a personal message. I'm getting ready to buy more and would be happy to sell anyone a smaller amount. I give it to all my horses too so I can use the larger amounts.

Not only does it make for a healthier gut, it also helps them to get the most out of their feed so the weight gain is better too.

Probiotics... I have also heard that plain yogert works to get their little guts functioning properly.

May be old school, but my chicken-smart friend said he never has a problem with pasty butt in ground raised chicks with hens, so he started putting a scoop of DIRT in with the chicks and said it works!!

Back
Top Bottom