what will get along with orps?

oldbuzzard

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
cuba, new york
i want to add to my flock. my orps are so gentle i was worried they would be bullied by other breeds. so im going to get black/blue/splash orps hoping they will get along. is there any others that will get along well? i was also thinking about brahamas.

Hi,

I have two buff orps (I love them, they are so sweet) and I have them separated right now with four others (Silkie/Polish/Black Australorp/EE? mixes) that they grew up with. I have a question mark after the breeds as this is what I was told but I have no personal knowledge of their background.

I had these chicks together as they were still on grower food and my other chickens are on regular laying pellets. But I am going to try to blend them in with some of my other chickens come spring and I have thought about this a lot.

I feel I can put them together with my Silkies, my only "Sizzle", my Polish hen and my Cochin bantams without any major problems. I am going to try it but keep a close eye on them because I would never want them to get hurt.

I hope it works. Good luck! Genie

I have the following hens:
7 Buff O's
6 B Rock's
4 R I Red's
6 N H Red's
6 Black Sex Link's
1 Polish Blk/Wht
1 Wht Cochin Bantam

1 Polish Blk/Wht ROOSTER
1 Lavender Cochin Bantam ROOSTER

I have no issues with the BO's getting along with the others, it is funny because when they are out and free ranging, the BO's are always together where the other breads spread out.

I want to know where I can get a sweet one like yours! My buff orp bullies every other chicken on the yard!

I waited for so long to get one as they are not so common here in Ireland and are quite expensive. When she arrived I fussed over her, worrying that this gentle natured bird might get picked on by my big brahmas or araucanas...

No such luck, she is the meanest chicken we ever had . She regularly takes all the treats, slaps and pecks the other girls and will fly at them with her front feet She killed one of my sweet little silkies and very nearly end up as dinner that night!
hit.gif

My husband jokes that she is crossed with a rotweiller as she even runs at people she doesn't know. If it wasn't for the fact that she lays eggs I would think she was a roo.

I was originally planning on breeding from her and having a little flock of orps but my husband is worried we will end up with an orpington mafia.

I don't know where we went wrong but we seem to have created a monster
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom