What will they NOT eat??!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HorseFeathers, Jul 28, 2008.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I had just made chocolate zucchini muffins (mmm!) and brough one out to the backyard to eat it. Chickens gather. Our conversation went something like this:
    "No, Olympia, you may not have a muffin."
    "Brrrawwwwk!"
    "Awwww.... maybe you can get the bits off the wrapper, you cutie pie."
    I finish my muffin. Hold out the wrapper. Wham! Faster than a speeding bullet, off goes Olympia, the wrapper clutched firmly in her beak. I race after her. She holds on- a peice of wrapper actually tore off in her beak when I snatched it back.

I had a similar incedent on Friday when they decided the wax paper covering my sandwich would make a good toy. I haven't seen it since.

Moral: do not give your chickens muffin wrappers, even if they say "Braaaawk".

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The worst is when you go out with your supper on a plate and wind up with cooked AND uncooked chickens on it.

3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Quote:Now that is just gross... [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

[​IMG] you guys just kill me!!!!!

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Mine don't like yellow summer squash. Although they LOVE the green zucchinis....? I think it's the color?

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I found out the hard way that mine like paper plates....and I held my breath for a few days after, hoping it wouldn't get stuck in their little gastro tract! WHEW! Learned my lesson there! [​IMG]

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    green zucchini. I'm not usually a fan, but in desserts... yum yum yum!

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Now that is just gross... [​IMG]

Tell me about it! I've seen where they walk. [​IMG]

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    You guys are funny!

Our flock won't eat slugs. They walk around them when they see them in the farm yard, usually because they are on the lookout for the BIG GAME - grasshoppers. [​IMG]

10. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Mine either. I was quite upset after I battled my own extreme bug queasiness to gather dozens of slugs while visiting my father, put them in a container, refrigerate them, and then travel home with them only to find Tom ad Harriet quite less than enthusiastic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by