What WON'T your chickens eat?

Pics
Mine are terrified of Watermelon:confused::confused::gig
They like canned pumpkin, but won't touch an actual pumpkin
They turn their beaks up at squash
Love gurbs, and anything flavored with oregano and garlic
No on bananas and apples

Today, for the first time ever, I had chickens turn their beaks up at dry cat food.:th I've had chickens that wouldnot stampede down to the dog bowl and share with the dog or sneak inside to get the cat food.
My two white Leghorn hens, Lorelai and Sugar, fly out of the run almost every morning and go eat dry cat food on the front porch. I guess it must not taste too bad.. then again, they also eat cat puke too, so I'm not sure quality of taste is necessarily a requirement for them lol

Mine LOVE watermelon!!! they also will eat blueberries, but NOT strawberries. I was just wondering if they would eat pumpkin since we are in that season. We have thrown salad out and they turned their noses up to anything in that. They LOVE crackers and just rattle the wrapper and they come running! Also bread or chips. I have given granola to guide them into their run.

I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?
I freeze meat bones and my ladies pick them clean

My chickens WON'T eat eggplant,
bell peppers, mint, fever few (smells like death), lavender,
They LOVE: Clover is their favorite, marigold leaves, lemon balm, all squashes, pumpkin, parsley, tomatoes, sunflowers, cooked rice,
cracked dried corn but some days they turn their nose up at the corn... hosta leaves, other plant leaves, blueberries, strawberries.
I dont give them much table scraps unless its veggies.

Back
Top Bottom