What would it take to make a new breed?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Okay so I won't actually be attempting to make a new breed anytime soon as I'm still a minor and I don't have the space either, but I do one day want to attemt to create a new breed. How are new breeds created? And what are all the F1 and F2?? I guess I just need someone to explain how it works. Any kind of visual sketch would also be helpful.

So right now as I'm just sort of brainstorming ideas. I've decided I want
A bantam with:
Dark skin
Extra toes
Fluffy feet
Short, wide apart legs
Blue eggs
Bearded and with big crests
Small comb
Dense feather layer
Slightly pointed down wings
Great broody hens and moms
More horizontal body position
Friendly to people and other chickens
Cold hardy

(Let me know if any of these wouldn't go together or something like that)

The breeds I thought of breeding together are:

Ameraucana
Silkie or satin
Bantam cochin
Polish crested
And maybe a bit of serema?

(Again, let me know if these breeds wouldn't work or any other ones would work better)

So where would I start?
Can someone just explain to me how the whole process would work?

Last edited:
That is quite the ambitious undertaking you have laid out. The first thing you need to do. Is gain all the knowledge about genetics that you can. There are some great resources out there. I am sure you can find some classes available. After you get a handle on how genetics work. Start with a simple breeding project. Such as crossing two breeds with different types of combs. Get yourself enough chickens, so you can have a few different breeding groups. Form a hypothesis of what you think will happen, for each group. See how well your real world results matched what you predicted. Then move on to bigger projects such as crest, color of skin and number of toes. Your breed list is a good starting point. You may consider Sultans instead of Polish. Since they have feathered legs, are crested and have five toes. As you will find. It will be a long path with plenty of curves and set backs. To get to what you want to achieve.

LUV your goal! You are young so learn as much as you can about the standard of perfection the your poultry association so that you can work to get them approved as a breed once you have achieved your goal!
Lauren Taylor has been working for years on a new breed...she provides excellent tips and things to consider when you are just starting out! She is on FB for sure.

Okay so I won't actually be attempting to make a new breed anytime soon as I'm still a minor and I don't have the space either, but I do one day want to attemt to create a new breed. How are new breeds created? And what are all the F1 and F2?? I guess I just need someone to explain how it works. Any kind of visual sketch would also be helpful.

A bantam with:
Dark skin
Extra toes
Fluffy feet
Short, wide apart legs
Blue eggs
Small comb
Dense feather layer
Cold hardy

Ameraucana
Silkie or satin
Bantam cochin
Polish crested

(Again, let me know if these breeds wouldn't work or any other ones would work better)

So where would I start?
What it takes to make a new breed:

Dedication/Lots of patients

Time/money

Culling of unwanted traits

Selection of traits only wanted

Be prepared if you mess up, & to start all over

F1, is the first generation cross

F2, is the second generation cross

In

A bantam with:
Dark skin
Extra toes
Fluffy feet
Short, wide apart legs
Blue eggs
Small comb
Dense feather layer
Cold hardy

Ameraucana
Silkie or satin
Bantam cochin
Polish crested

So where would I start?
Instead of ameraucanas, you might use bantam Easter eggers instead (cackle hatchery has them) or alternatively cream legbars since they have crests. D’uccles have feathered feet and muffs so those might be an option as well. I don’t know how easy they would be to get, but fibro EEs or silkie EEs exist. As for what it takes to start a breeding project, mostly time and patience. My current breeding project I’ve estimated to take at least 5 years, and it’s not quite as ambitious as this. Also try and get a very clear image of exactly what you want, because if you don’t then it might cause issues and inconsistent results instead of uniformity.

If you want dark skin I would recommend a breed that is especially known for that like an Ayam cemani or a Svart hona. For the crests, feathered feet, beard, and toes I would use a Sultan or Silkie ( depends if you want the silkie gene in your breed ). You could use a Sultan bantam, but that depends how small you want it to be. For the short, spread about legs I would use a breed with the creeper gene, like a Scots dumpy or a Chabo.FOr cold-hardiness I would use a landrace from a very northern location like the Hedamora, Swedish flower hen, Svart hona, and Icelandic. These breeds are also surprisingly heat hardy as well! For blue eggs I would use an Ameraucana, if you can find one that isn't an Easter egger, you can also use Legbars, they have the blue egg gene, and have crests, they are also auto-sexing which could be a useful trait in your breed. If you want a small comb, use any breed with a pea, walnut, or strawberry comb, or a Breda which has no comb at all and cavernous nostrils. For broodiness, great mothering skills, and friendliness towards people I would either use Brahmas, Cochins, or Silkies ( You could use Brahma and Cochin bantams ). for the dense feather either Cochins or Brahmas. For the slightly pointed down wings, I would use a breed with a duckwing coloration, or a Sultan. For the body position I would use RIRS, RIWS,Wyandottes, or Svart honas. I hope this will help with figuring out what breeds to use in you future project.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom