What would leave behind 2 bodies?

Hmm I have seen alot of threads lately about snakes killing birds, they have slime on their necks because the snake can completely swallow them. How far was the coop moved, I dont know how a snake would move it though. I feel like if it was any mammal it would have lots of feathers everywhere like if it was dog or raccoon.

My advice would be to put up a game camera. Most likely the predators has been lurking looking for an opportunity and will be back especially since it has killed. Maybe you can get a picture of it and then you will know for sure what you're dealing with. Good luck...

We've had dogs do this and essentially "play" with the birds before leaving them once dead. As mentioned, get yourself a game camera facing the coop or two. Put one on video and the other on photo. Or even try a NEST/security cam

It could be a raccoon. A lot of times they snap the necks of all the birds they can then run off with a couple. They are really smart and sneaky when it comes to breaking in coops.

Ide use a live trap, or a camera. I am thinking raccoon? Where we are, we had raccoons reach there hands through the wire on the coop, and slam the birds against the wall and breAk there neck. If they couldn’t get to the bird they would just leave it dead. A mink or weasel is another good option though.

Copious saliva on the head/neck is typical of a snake that killed but was unable to swallow the prey. Unless the other two killed were much smaller, there is the possibility of a second predator.

Back
Top Bottom