Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Chickens

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Quails

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
I am raising my own right now (both Chicks and Ducks), and thus would not buy either. The ducks are pure (hatchery quality) Pekins. The chicks are part of a very long term breeding project, with the ultimate goal of a barnyard cross (a mutt) of particular coloration, egg color range, and relatively early maturity, favoring meat over egg production. Excess birds/those not advancing the breeding goals will be either culled for meat or sold cheap to cover feed costs.

IF I were buying chicks, there are breeds I'd be interested in, rather than "chickens" generically. That seems to be the case with my neighbors, too. While not many chicks are being sold (based on Craigslist), pricing is radically different between Mutts and a couple recognized breeds and crosses. Its an agricultural community - so the breeds we focus on are much different than the breeds which might be popular as city/suburban pets.

Hope that helps.

Oh, yes! I know. I wouldn't start without doing a ton more research. But its a small dream of mine that has to be set aside because of my life situation... So I'm kind of just feeding it by asking questions :)

Quail - they can be raised in a small space, or even indoors. They produce eggs - a lot of eggs - beginning at 6 or so weeks old. An be harvested for meat at 6+ weeks old. Easy to butcher due to small size and they just slip right out of their skin. To hatch quail is often a bit more forgiving than Chickens, and a few days shorter. One issue can be that they need a higher protein gamebird feed, either entire life or up to a certain age (I’ve read different things on this). So, sourcing it might be more challenging.

we raised quail in our garage. It worked out well. We used wire rabbit cages with one male per cage with a few females. Two males together will fight, so keeping them separate is important for peace.

we moved to chickens after our quail. This year we will try a few turkeys for the first time. We do not have experience with ducks. We have considered getting more quail, but we need to work on a space for them (no space in current garage.).

I am raising my own right now (both Chicks and Ducks), and thus would not buy either. The ducks are pure (hatchery quality) Pekins. The chicks are part of a very long term breeding project, with the ultimate goal of a barnyard cross (a mutt) of particular coloration, egg color range, and relatively early maturity, favoring meat over egg production. Excess birds/those not advancing the breeding goals will be either culled for meat or sold cheap to cover feed costs.

IF I were buying chicks, there are breeds I'd be interested in, rather than "chickens" generically. That seems to be the case with my neighbors, too. While not many chicks are being sold (based on Craigslist), pricing is radically different between Mutts and a couple recognized breeds and crosses. Its an agricultural community - so the breeds we focus on are much different than the breeds which might be popular as city/suburban pets.

Hope that helps.
Yep, thats very helpful! When you say certain breeds are favored... which breeds are those and why are they favored? Also, that is so cool that you are specifically breeding for qualities that you choose! I hope that you see progress as the years go by!

Oh, yes! I know. I wouldn't start without doing a ton more research. But its a small dream of mine that has to be set aside because of my life situation... So I'm kind of just feeding it by asking questions :)

so, do you have quail now? You have previously posted about hatching quail, so wondering if you still have them!

Why do you personally enjoy them so much?
1. Ducks lay more than chickens (the Khaki campbell duck has the world record for laying over 365+ eggs in one year).
2. Ducks are smarter and can recognize faces, but chickens can't.
3. Ducks eggs are bigger and healthier than chickens.
4. Ducks have better personalities than chickens.
5. Ducklings imprint on people but chicks won't.
6. Ducks can swim (ducks feathers don't get wet because of the oil that is why ducks don't drown), but chickens drown( chickens feathers will get wet and the chicken will drown).

so, do you have quail now? You have previously posted about hatching quail, so wondering if you still have them!
I had them until they were mature (6 weeks old) but my current living situation does not allow them to go outside or have a big enclosure, so I sold or gave them away to hobby farms and people who wanted quail eggs! I loved having quail though, so I will probable raise them again. Each time I do it I learn something new... so I figure I should at least gain knowledge until I can keep them long term!

1. Ducks lay more than chickens (the Khaki campbell duck has the world record for laying over 365+ eggs in one year).
2. Ducks are smarter and can recognize faces, but chickens can't.
3. Ducks eggs are bigger and healthier than chickens.
4. Ducks have better personalities than chickens.
5. Ducklings imprint on people but chicks won't.
6. Ducks can swim (ducks feathers don't get wet because of the oil that is why ducks don't drown), but chickens drown( chickens feathers will get wet and the chicken will drown).
Wow! What ducks do you currently have?

Back
Top Bottom