What would you do? DEED DONE..

Quote:
yes ma'am. i use a fillet knife. fits just right. i know, sounds awful, but it's fast.

Sundown...i have bought adults successfully, but QUARANTINE! it can work, but speckledhen has seen how it can go wrong. be choosy, talk to the owners. ask a thousand questions, sellers should expect it.

Ok, I may need a minute to take a deep breath and build some courage... They are pretty boys, but they are not worth my whole flock...
hmm.png
How does the slitting the neck thing work? Also, I don't know if I can step on them without freaking out if they move when they are supposed to be dead! LOL. Umm, I may have ACE wrap around here, do you think that would hold them if I bandage up their wings>? WOw, I sound like such a wimp!

Lanissa, They are right. The birds are sick and need to be culled. It may be too late for your main flock, but just keep a close look out around the eyes for any kind of discharge. As far as culling, I love my girls too. I use starter fluid on a rag placed over the head. The bird goes to sleep and finally dies.(KEEP IT ON UNTILL SHE IS DEAD). It takes longer, it is harder on me, but I have a hard time hurting my girls.

Lanissa, you are not a wimp. It's not an easy thing to do, but you have to remember that you are protecting your flock. I do feel for you; it's never easy to put down an animal, especially if you are up close and personal with it.

I am very sorry you are having issues with new birds. For future reference please read this thread on Biosecurity .

I have a closed flock. I do not buy chicks or adult birds from other people for this very reason.

Any sign of respiratory illness and I cull - meaning I remove the bird from my barn, kill it, burn the body and bury the ashes. It has been many years since I have had to do anything like this - hence why I began a very long time ago and continue to have a closed flock. Any new additions to my flock I hatch myself.

I have worked too long and invested too much time and money in raising the chickens I have and devloping the flock I want to let this kind of thing happen.

Anyone that purchases birds from me I always tell them to practice heavy biosecurity. Even though I think my birds are free of disease there is always the chance the natural flora and fauna of my birds could cause illness in another flock that has not been exposed to the same things mine have.

Just too many risks.

it is very hard to do. I had to put down a 1 week old baby chick yesterday. Its the hardest thing to do. It was also my first time putting anything down. but the chick was suffering, and I didnt want it to make anybody else sick.

Starter Fluid? Really? I have a whole bunch of that! I think that would be less traumatic for me also! I do have 2 to do-in... so I guess I could try Miss_jaynes way and the starter fluid.... About how long do you predict it takes? How will I know for sure it is dead and not just passed out?

Its weird that I can put down baby chicks without a problem and duckling... but when it comes to bigger birds I am feeling totally weird right now and unsure of myself!
roll.png

Miss Prissy, I will not buy adult birds again! I have learned my lesson, from now on I think I will just hatch! I was just in search of Delawares and the guy told me it was a pullet and I went ahead and took what he called a cuckoo maran (which I now know is a Dominique)! I wanted to replace my Delawares that I lost at the beginning of this past Spring... I loved them so much and I have not found a bird that I liked as much as them!

Last edited:
Quote:
the neck thing is simple. use a very sharp knife and cross the jugular in the front of neck. it squirts. the ace wrap may make you more freaked out as the legs will still want to run too. you could tie up the feet on a laundry line or tree limb and then slit neck after wrapping a trash bag about the bird. then slit neck, pull up bag and don't look anymore. when thrashing stops, cut down.

you're not a wimp. it would be psycho if you DIDN'T have concerns or cares. we are given charge over the animals and part of that is compassion. you sound like good people to me!
wink.png

Ok, Thank to the suggestions on how I can do this, I think I am going to go outside now and see what will be best! Wish me luck and I will let everyone know how it went....

Back
Top Bottom