What would you do with the low income of this nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedcorn

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
NE. IN
Overall this group is a free thinking, hard working group so I ask this question.

I hate social programs, higher taxes, etc but you can't just let them starve or go homeless. (In fact I go off the deep end when I see grossly overweight; liquor drinking; smoking; internet/cell phone using; non-working; welfare people.) If you did let them go homeless/starve, could you imagine the crime rate, plus welfare is cheaper than our penial system per individual or family.

So what would you do? (Do not make this into a political party discussion PLEASE).

One thing I ALWAYS have to keep in mind: Not every one is created equal. There are some people who just do not have the brain power, IQ, motivation, whatever it is to work. Some people will ALWAYS be the receptionist, and some will always be the doctor with 4 degrees. There are those of us that are middle of the road, smart, but not smart enough to have a really high paying job. I have a friend of mine who is on SS, because she just not have the mental capacity to hold down a job.

There is a place for all of us in this country. If there was no welfare, so many wouldn't fare well. I DO NOT condone abuse of the system in any way. As for overweight? It is FAR cheaper to eat bad foods and unhealth frozen items than it is to eat lean meats and fresh fruits. Having been a person who was homeless and TURNED DOWN for food stamps because I made too much money the month before, I try to weight things before I decide.

PS - I am not answering you - I am generalizing my answer
wink.png

Having been on assistance myself, you have no idea how bad it really is unless you have been there.
There are people who take advantage,but more who don't. It is near impossible to get off because any little money you make they take away your assistance and not over a period of time, they just take it away. If they would let you keep it awhile while you do work, to get caught up, I think a lot more people would motivate to get off of it. It was hard when I want back to work, I only made 100 dollars a week, and they took away everything, thank God My parents were able to help me and my twins 3 at the time or we would have starved to death!
Brenda

Quote:
you didn't say anything wrong - shouldn't take others not wanting to go there as a personal affront. others don't want to say anything negative, so they follow their mother's counsel.

There IS a big differance with people who REALLY need the help...then those that abuse the system. The ones that arent so smart(like me..
lol.png
), dont have to be doctors..but they DO need to work. and there are many job situations out there for them. But that is differant then people that CANT work..due to severe mental disadvatages, or sickness, or physical disabilities...those people i would help ANY day!...ts the ones that WONT work that i have a big problem with.... like the ones that abuse our local food pantry...they come and get food and then go buy some crack, or get on their computer..or cell phone...while the people in my town that REALLY do need the food pantry get nothing or the left over crap stuff...it just gets me soo mad!..my town is actually thinking of stopping the food pantry because of these peoples abuses...so now people that really need this benefit will suffer, all because of people that abuse the system..its just sad.

Quote:
you didn't say anything wrong - shouldn't take others not wanting to go there as a personal affront. others don't want to say anything negative, so they follow their mother's counsel.

It's simple--help them, don't help them. If you chose to help them, how would be the best way. If you want them to starve, stay off the post or say it and take the abuse like an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom