What would you say are the BEST tempered, GOOD laying, NICE looking hens?

Pics
I've only raised two chickens from when they were chicks. I spent a ton of time with them (at least an hour a day of handling) and they both turned out to be very docile. They are a Jersey Giant and Salmon Faverolles. The JG is more physically affectionate and likes to sit on my lap and be pet. She will also fly onto my arm on command. The SF will sit on my lap if I put her there, but usually doesn't jump up. But she's always close to me and is not afraid of being touched. They both had a little skittish period the month or two before they started laying, but once they started laying they went back to being mellow and docile.

I'd like to think that with a good amount of positive handling, most chickens will achieve some degree of docility. Even my "rescue" hens, which came from abuse and/or neglect and were very skittish when I got them, are much more docile now than when I got them. Not quite as docile as the ones I raised from chicks, but they will run up to me, hang out close to me, and eat from my hand. They just don't want to be picked up or pet. I think most chickens will become comfortable if you take the time to make them realize you aren't a threat. Treats help :)

I've only raised two chickens from when they were chicks. I spent a ton of time with them (at least an hour a day of handling) and they both turned out to be very docile. They are a Jersey Giant and Salmon Faverolles. The JG is more physically affectionate and likes to sit on my lap and be pet. She will also fly onto my arm on command. The SF will sit on my lap if I put her there, but usually doesn't jump up. But she's always close to me and is not afraid of being touched. They both had a little skittish period the month or two before they started laying, but once they started laying they went back to being mellow and docile.

I'd like to think that with a good amount of positive handling, most chickens will achieve some degree of docility. Even my "rescue" hens, which came from abuse and/or neglect and were very skittish when I got them, are much more docile now than when I got them. Not quite as docile as the ones I raised from chicks, but they will run up to me, hang out close to me, and eat from my hand. They just don't want to be picked up or pet. I think most chickens will become comfortable if you take the time to make them realize you aren't a threat. Treats help :)
Yes, I think we would be raising them from chicks and they would probably get a lot of attention.

Yes, I think we would be raising them from chicks and they would probably get a lot of attention.
Yes then most breeds will do well for you. The two I suggested are good, and they are pretty too. But there are many others. I'd say get a mix of breeds, raise them all the same, and you'll find which ones you like best. Best of luck. :)

Hi! I am new to chicken raising so need lots of advice! I have 13 chickens, a little over 2 weeks old. I have been feeding them from my hand throughout the day and they usually come running when I put my hand in. Since yesterday they seem scared and won’t come. What has happened? I want to be able to hold them and get them used to me. I have tried to be careful in how I pick them up but it’s getting difficult to do so. Some will jump in my hand so I try to bring those up to pet and talk to. I can tell some don’t want to be held.
How have you “tamed” yours to be human friendly and like being held?

Hi! I am new to chicken raising so need lots of advice! I have 13 chickens, a little over 2 weeks old. I have been feeding them from my hand throughout the day and they usually come running when I put my hand in. Since yesterday they seem scared and won’t come. What has happened? I want to be able to hold them and get them used to me. I have tried to be careful in how I pick them up but it’s getting difficult to do so. Some will jump in my hand so I try to bring those up to pet and talk to. I can tell some don’t want to be held.
How have you “tamed” yours to be human friendly and like being held?
Hi! My main suggestion would be to just not give up. With the two chicks I described in that comment, and my current baby chicks I have right now, I have aimed for an hour of time with them daily. That doesn't mean trying to pick them up, touch them, or hold them for that whole hour or more, but just being there, close to them. Basically you want to desensitize them to you being them so they aren't scared of you being there or moving around. When the opportunity presents itself, pick a chick up and pet her, but don't hold her hostage or something. Just try to make the interactions positive so they have a reason to want to come back to you.

I've found that chicks have bonded with me the most over my body heat lol. My young ones don't seem to like treats. Once they learn that I'm warm, they love to come up to me and get some warmth. I put my hand lightly over their backs so they get the sensation of being sat on by a warm mother hen, and I think that helps them see me as somewhat of a mama hen figure, at least in the sense that I'm not a threat. Sometimes you have to place a chick on your lap for them to realize you are warm, while others are more intuitive and find out on their own. These videos have some tips that I have used.

Just keep spending time with them, and you will build a relationship with them. But remember that it's rare to get a "lap chicken" that wants to sit on your lap and be pet. I think it's more realistic to aim for chickens that are comfortable with your presence, will eat from your hand, and can be somewhat easily picked up when needed to. You said some of yours jump into your hand and like to be pet. Make those the ones you try to pet. Maybe the others will one day like to be pet, but maybe they will not and that's okay. They will have other good qualities. Chickens have many different personalities so you never know what you'll get.

Btw, I'm no expert at all and am only on my second batch of chicks, but I just thought I'd give you this advice since I've had some success in raising friendly chicks already. Good luck!
What breed are they?

Back
Top Bottom