what you find in a chicken coup.

nitro3custom

Chirping
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Back in July I was in the garden and heard a faint meow. I looked around and found a kitten at the side of the yard in the bushes. I tried to get close and it wasn't having any part of me. So I finshed up and went in. Later on I went out to close up the coup and there was the kitten sitting in the coup door for the chickens with it's paws crossed and looking out of the coup. It was raining and it was probably happy to be dry. I couldn't figure out how it got in, till I tried to get it and it squeazed throught the 2 x 3 fence and went under the coup. I checked in the morning and it was still there. My wife closed up the coup the next night for me and saw it. So the next day I set the haveaheart trap and with in the hour We had the kitten. I figure it was about 12 weeks old. With in an hour I was able to pet it and it was eating. We checked and decided to name her Chickie. I thought it was appropriate. So after a coulpe of weeks we noticed a cough and set up a vet appointment and found out she had lung worms and a fever. And the vet checked and now Chickie is Couper. My niece named him because I couldn't figure out a boy name that would work. And now he doesn't take any crap from the dog He sleeps in the bed with us and the dogand he let us put a flea and tick coolar on him and didn't even try to get it off. I've had a lot of cats over the years and He has to be the most amazing little guy I've ever had.

Last edited:
What a great story, and so nice of you to take him in. Ferals and strays can make trhe best pets.

Several years ago I snagged a couple kittens from a female feral in my yard. Thought I got them all. A week later I hear the mother cat crying in my bamboo, I looked and there was another kitten in one of the chicken nests. I thinhk she wanted all 3 to stay together.

Imp

Last edited:
what a lucky boy to 'find' you! We had a stray that turned into the most wonderful cat in the world.. She was great w/ our kids --loved our oldest best and lived to be 19yrs old...

I have not been on this sight in a long time. On my third flock and still love raising chickens. Thought I would bring an update to the original post. Couper is still my number one. has brought home anther stray which was kind of fun. we found him playing with a black young cat and we opend the door and she came in and went out. the next time we opened the door she came in and walked around the house. I closed the door and she never left. She is now named Lilly. Here is a picture of Couper who is now 8 years old. I'll post pictures of my chickens some time soon. I have 24 hens and 2 roosters. 6 or 7 breeds total.

Attachments

• IMG_1107[1].jpg
    IMG_1107[1].jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom