What's a good protein % to start chicks and ducklings on?

Oct 13, 2022
New Milford, CT
Hello. I'm wondering what is a good protein percentage to start day-old chicks and ducklings on? I know they have different protein requirements, but would like to know what is a good percentage for each of them. My family has bought a 22% protein starter/grower for the ducklings and a 19% protein starter/grower for the chicks, so are those amounts good to start them off with? An image of each bag is below. :)

WIN_20221014_10_07_52_Pro.jpg WIN_20221014_10_09_01_Pro.jpg

Both are fine. Like many posters here, I recommend an "All Flock" type feed for all bird of all ages at all times. As you can see from my sig below, I have both chickens and ducks, hatch my own. You should also be aware that higher protein levels won't hurt your chicks any at levels you can usually obtain at the local store (meat birds are raised for table at levels of 26-28% in some conditions), though they have only limited benefits (generally much much much smaller than the increase in feed costs). However, you should avoid feeds over 24% protein for ducks geese and other waterfowl, as it is associated with increased incidence of "angel wing", which you want to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom