what's getting in my trap?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bantamboy93, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    So. I had an incident with the goats getting in my live trap. Not good. So i moved it inside the chicken run. I shut the chooks up at night in the coop so they can't get in the trap. I'm putting up bread in the very back of the trap. Something is getting in there, taking the bread and not getting trapped. IDK what's getting in there. But it's clever. I can't use the 'dig a hole under the trap' method. Too much work if i'm moving the trap. Any other ideas?

2. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:bantamboy93,sounds like you are dealing with rats.try setting some regular mouse snap traps.just dont forget to trip them before you let your chickens out in the mornings.

3. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    sounds like rats they are hard to catch in the big live traps can steal bait easy. good hope you solve your problem.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sprinkle a good dose of flour around the trap, so maybe you'll get the footprints of the culprit. Also, Tie your bait in a cloth or tough plastic sac (like one of those bags that rice boils in), so that the predator will have to really work and yank on the bait in order to get it.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    try making a small "bait box " out of hardware cloth then wire this box to your trigger/treadle

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Mice, rats, or small birds can all do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by