whats going on with my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandersn, Jan 18, 2015.

1. mandersn

mandersn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    My hen was getting a little abused by the roosters, so I put a coat on her. Its been a week or better and I looked at her today and noticed this: (see picture) I'm not sure whats going on. I have brought her in and am keeping her seperated in hop[es of healing her. I put triple antibiotic on it. Not sure what else to do or why this happened. Any thoughts and suggestions? I know i need to get rid of the roosters, planning on it soon, waiting for hubby to heal from breaking both wrists, not sure I can do it by myself.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not seeing a photo?

Is the hen the only hen or do you have others? How many roosters is it you have? Until you can get things sorted out it would be best to house your birds in gender segregated setups. Are you intending to butcher? If that is the hold up with your husband's injury, you may want to just go ahead and give these birds away so as to spare your hen(s?) further damage and stress.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. mandersn

mandersn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Heres the pictures

4. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    Omg- take her to the vet!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    If there's open wounds, put Blue-Kote or Hydrogen Peroxide on it. I would recommend getting rid of the roosters if they are abusing the hens, or find ways to stop the cannibalism (like debeaking).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by