What's in a Name? tell me the names of your chickens/duck/birds

Pics
I love to name my birds weather it be a funny name or a normal name or name them for things they do... I want to know what you call your flock? even share pictures if you want. here are the names of my flock
Chickens:
Rosters: Coca Cola, Frazzle, Fatboy JR (Bubba) Hawkeye. (may have some younger ones but won't know for a while yet
Hens: Ferrari, Chippy, Lil Sue, Hattie, Mattie, Legs, Little Bit, Dreamy, Punky,an Poof Poof. ( I may have more hens in the chicks I got i just waiting till older to tell. Some Have name some don't yet. we try to give them unisex names when not sure)
Ducks:
Drake: Shenanigans
Hen: Cuddles, Nibbles, Shadow, Grim, andRoamy,
We got new ones in but some don't have names yet waiting to see what the sex of some are and some of them names just have not come to us but here is list of the names so far
New Chickens: Cotton, Truffles, Caramel, Fluff, Fisty, Vulcher, Nimrod, ram rod, Black Betty, Black Velvet, Bourbon, Rum, Malt, Morticia, and Elvira,
New Ducks: tickles and pickles
So what names does your flock have?
I used to watch George Foreman, & I took a page out of his book; call 'em all George

Here you can have 10 birds in town. You can have drake ducks if you like but no roosters because of crowing of course.

I live in PA and was told that in Emporium in town up to 4 maybe 5 an no ducks... outskirts little yes. I was just OUT of town when so I could have my roos. I have since moved to Sinnamahoning pa... BUT over town people are not suppose to have rosters but can an do because it's such a small one horse town lol. no one cares as long as they stay in your yard as my gram had chickens including roos and ducks when my dad was growing up. and no one complained lol BUT up town it's more city like and they yell. there was a guy had 4 one was a roo an asked me if I would take the roo and the spca helped him get one of them coops... BUT neighbors still yelled so they made him get rid of them. So I took them. BUT he did have some health an mental problems and was a hoarder we had to go in his place and get one of the chickens and that place was nasty. but where the chicken was and kept clean and a whistle. He would come up to visit with the chickens I took but later was placed in a home from what I was told. he use to just walk up to see them but then came with someone and they said he was in home but can't be out without some one. He did stop coming after while all together and that is when I found or heard her was in a home permanently. I felt bad for him because I know he really loved his chickens an even if it was 3 months before he came to see them they heard him or seen him they came running. I left their names. Chicky Poo, Cluck Cluck, and baby (inside one she was smallish and mixed so thinking bantam mix) and Rowdy the Rosters lol. Its one reason I moved back to my home town not only to help parents as they are getting older BUT up town even out in the country people like to make drama. their is some here in the sticks as I call it but not as much more family drama lol.
Now having up to 10 could have changed its been 2 years since I lived up town and i started getting chickens in 08 ducks in 09. 1st 4 I got where all rosters lol there went the egg Ideal. but later on we took in some rescue hens and then I really got into them. more as pets and my dogs, cats and all the other pets besides bunnies and guinea pigs LOVE eggs.

My very first two hennies were Buff Orpington chicks, given to me at Easter by a family friend. I loved them so much! Their names were Sunny and Buttercup.
Later on, Sunny got killed and we bought some chicks as companions for Buttercup:
Tiny, a bantam but I don't know the breed, and Eagle, a Silver-Laced Wyandotte (to my child's eye, the several weeks old pullet looked eagle-like).
Later on I had a black Silkie named Bijou.
Several years ago, I had 2 Barred Rocks named Hennie and Pennie, and a fox got them we think. :'(
After that, I had Willow, a Silver-Laced Wyandotte; Molly, a Barred Rock, and Amira, an Egyptian Fayoumi. I loved them so much! <3

Now, I have chickies who don't yet have names. I don't name my babies until their personalities come out. I have Coronation Sussex, English Jubilee Orpingtons and hopefully soon, Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes (they're still in the 'bator)!

I try to if I am not sure on sex give them a unisex name like 2 of my golden laced are Bourbon and Rum could work for either sex. I have a pot belly pig named Willow lol

OMG I LOVE GRACKLES! <3 How cool!

I'm delighted to see all the names!

Collectively, my birds are known as "The Blessed and Highly Favored Flock of Whisper Hill." Once a member, always a member.

Naming Day is a big deal, complete with portraits. Most are named for my ancestors, but not all.

Precious to me, but lost a few months ago in a dog raid, were Thelma, Dean, Myra Quackmire, Louise Quackmire, Edna,and Callie.

My current flock: Harry (rooster), Lillie Maude, Fanny, Opal, Clara, Half Chick, Emily, and Rita.

I ordered 23 replacement pullets a few weeks ago. Cackle Hatchery sent 25. They are all healthy and growing, but yet unnamed. Right after receiving these, my number one hen, Lillie Maude (Australorp) went broody. The eggs are currently hatching, and will be second gen Highly Favoreds.

The whole flock has been incredibly supportive of Lillie Maude. On at least one occasion, Rita kept the eggs warm while Lillie stretched her legs. While waiting for Lillie's return, I got video of Rita providing a little nest maintenance, bringing up a bit of extra straw while keeping the eggs warm.

The evening before last (Lillie growing anxious and weary, having a two day old hatchling while still keeping her eggs toasty and turned) I told the flock to pray for Lillie before going to sleep. Rita jumped up on the upper roost, and I had to take this pic of what happened next.

Each night I tuck the floView attachment 1350539 ck in, making certain of roll call, and locking up tight. Most nights I remind them that they are the Blessed and Highly Favored Flock of Whisper Hill. I now tell them this with careful enunciation, as one night, in a hurry, I accidentally told them they were the Blessed and Highly Flavored Flock.

Harry, having vivid recall of what happened to the first roo, Peck, felt the remark was in terribly poor taste, and a couple of the hens were so upset that they didn't lay for several days.

(The pics are of Lillie Maude (solid black) still warming her eggs, with her hatchling on her back, and of Rita with her wing around Opal's shoulders as they said their prayers. And of View attachment 1350539 View attachment 1350540 View attachment 1350541 Rita repairing Lillie's nest while keeping the eggs warm as Lillie had to stretch her legs.

I lost a lot this year to 2 gray foxes. I set up and finally the dogs killed the one. the next day early morning the chased the other off an have not see it again. I get this is the country like boondocks but have to protect my flock. I roll cal to every night an during the day at times. Some of my hens with chickens and ducks get broody but never finish hatching them out. long time ago I had a fee that did but last fe ears nope. I even tried to put them in their own little space or cage thinking maybe the others here bothering them to much and thy would just stop. SO next step hatch them out myself lol. I know there are ways to make them broody and have tried but gonna try hatching some out on my own while still helping the ones that want to go broody do so.

Hens-
Olive
Rosey (named after a deceased pullet called Rosemary)

Roosters-
Griffin
Finny (he had a brother named Huckleberry)
Lupin
Domino (a dominique)
Ares (has a perpetually angry expression)

I have another rooster that I just got that doesn't have a name yet. Does anyone have any name suggestions? (He's the one currently in my avatar)

We are just now starting our flock. We have 5 6mo+ mixed hens, 13 5wk Gold Laced Wyandottes and Brahmas, 5 2wk Blue Partridge Brahmas, and 6 BPB eggs put in the incubator today.

The coop and run is called "Pecker's Paradise."

Some of the birds will be culled as meat birds but I believe in giving names just so we can differentiate the birds when talking about them. The meat birds are given food names so as not to become attached to them as we do the pet named ones.

Names are:

Haley - 6mo Golden Comet Hen
Goldie - 6mo Buff Orpington Hen
Henrietta - 6mo RIR Hen
Lacey - 6mo Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen
Esther - 6mo Easter Egger Hen

coop3.jpg

Deuce (Bigalow) - 5wk Dark Brahma Roo
Flusia - 5wk Dark Brahma Hen

Tyson (May become Fred)- 5wk Buff Brahma Roo
Purdy (Short for Purdue - May become Ethel) - 5wk Buff Brahma Hen

Kiev - 5wk Gold Laced Wyandotte Roo
Cacciatore - 5wk GLW Roo
Stanley - 5wk GLW Roo
Maude - 5wk GLW Hen
Dorthy - 5wk GLW Hen
Blanche - 5wk GLW Hen
Rose - 5wk GLW Hen
Sophia - 5wk GLW Hen

As of yet the 2wk chicks and eggs are not named. I will edit this post later when they are.

Back
Top Bottom