What's in a Name? tell me the names of your chickens/duck/birds

Pics
I'm delighted to see all the names!

Collectively, my birds are known as "The Blessed and Highly Favored Flock of Whisper Hill." Once a member, always a member.

Naming Day is a big deal, complete with portraits. Most are named for my ancestors, but not all.

Precious to me, but lost a few months ago in a dog raid, were Thelma, Dean, Myra Quackmire, Louise Quackmire, Edna,and Callie.

My current flock: Harry (rooster), Lillie Maude, Fanny, Opal, Clara, Half Chick, Emily, and Rita.

I ordered 23 replacement pullets a few weeks ago. Cackle Hatchery sent 25. They are all healthy and growing, but yet unnamed. Right after receiving these, my number one hen, Lillie Maude (Australorp) went broody. The eggs are currently hatching, and will be second gen Highly Favoreds.

The whole flock has been incredibly supportive of Lillie Maude. On at least one occasion, Rita kept the eggs warm while Lillie stretched her legs. While waiting for Lillie's return, I got video of Rita providing a little nest maintenance, bringing up a bit of extra straw while keeping the eggs warm.

The evening before last (Lillie growing anxious and weary, having a two day old hatchling while still keeping her eggs toasty and turned) I told the flock to pray for Lillie before going to sleep. Rita jumped up on the upper roost, and I had to take this pic of what happened next.

Each night I tuck the flo IMG_20180417_192118799~2.jpg ck in, making certain of roll call, and locking up tight. Most nights I remind them that they are the Blessed and Highly Favored Flock of Whisper Hill. I now tell them this with careful enunciation, as one night, in a hurry, I accidentally told them they were the Blessed and Highly Flavored Flock.

Harry, having vivid recall of what happened to the first roo, Peck, felt the remark was in terribly poor taste, and a couple of the hens were so upset that they didn't lay for several days.

(The pics are of Lillie Maude (solid black) still warming her eggs, with her hatchling on her back, and of Rita with her wing around Opal's shoulders as they said their prayers. And of IMG_20180417_192118799~2.jpg IMG_20180419_152148965_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180418_100122463_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg Rita repairing Lillie's nest while keeping the eggs warm as Lillie had to stretch her legs.

My birds are all female, we can't have any males here
Chickens:
Hopey (Hope) (buff brahma)
Emmy (SLW)
Nonae (welsummer)
Private (cream legbar)
Hay Hay (cream legbar)
Beigie (cream legbar)
Poppy (cream legbar)
Watson (speckled Sussex)
Irene Adler (GLW)
Molly (buff brahma)
Iris (I think she's an olive egger)

Duck:
Miss Mako (rhymes with taco) Mori (Swedish blue)

Quail:
Circe
Jazzy

I had a little wood duck I was calling "Howard P. Littleduck" He was so cute, he was in love with a little brown bantam chicken hen and would follow her around and blab all day long. or (whisper) as boys do. One day I thought, "I want to love cuddle you", and was going to catch him by a fence, Thinking he would just go to the fence and stop, I also stepped up to the fence, but instead of his stopping at the fence he bounced off the fence and was going to use the momentum to scoot past me real quick. But as I was stepping up to the fence he bounced off the fence and I stepped on him.:hitHe didn't make it.

I had a little wood duck I was calling "Howard P. Littleduck" He was so cute, he was in love with a little brown bantam chicken hen and would follow her around and blab all day long. or (whisper) as boys do. One day I thought, "I want to love cuddle you", and was going to catch him by a fence, Thinking he would just go to the fence and stop, I also stepped up to the fence, but instead of his stopping at the fence he bounced off the fence and was going to use the momentum to scoot past me real quick. But as I was stepping up to the fence he bounced off the fence and I stepped on him.:hitHe didn't make it.

:hugs

I have chickens
Blue frizzles- Greyzelda, and Greyslyn (their color is Gray, so is the name) Greysyln is the mom.
NN-Nella (I name all my NN N names)
Old English bantam- Eaglet (She looked like a little eagle as a chick)
BCM-Ula, Abigal( a big gal)
Leghorns- Loni, Leni (I gave them L names)
Blue cochin/blue Isbars- Bluebelle, Dandelion, Darcy. Bluebelle is Dandelion's (white,yellow and blue,splash) and Darcy's (dark blue) mom.
Blue cochin bantam- Esmerelda (she is a light blue)
Blue cochin bantam/LO- Pip rooster (Esmerelda is his mom)
LO-Laney and Lydia
Blue Isbars- Isabella, Jemma, Mauve
Golden spizenhauben- Petra
BCM/LO- Paulene. Her mom is Abigal.
Ayam Cemani- Olive
Red Stars- Olivia, Oleander, Octavia
crested EE- Enid ans Elsa
Welsummer-Wanda and Wendy
Novogen-Nessa and Nadine

Last edited:
We have only named our chickens, as our turkeys all look the same in the 5 days they've been alive. There's no real method for naming, we just pick a name that suits the bird and run with it.
Tyranitar (male black sex link)
Sandy (female black sex linkless)
Little Red (female black sex linkless)
Buffy (female buff orpington)
The Vampire Slayer (female buff orpington)
Snake eyes (female fbcm)
Angel ( female white leghorn)
Luna (female EE)
Ham (female no idea wtf it is)
Mocha ( unk welsummer maran mix)
Tiny (female EE and the runt of the pack)

Gertrude F
Lucy F
Ethel F
Little Ricky M
Agnes F
Marge F
Harriet Oleson F
Sylvia F
Matilda F
Edna Mae F
Napoleon Dynamite Bonaparte M
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart M
Gladys F
Myrtle F
Pullets
Rachel Lynde F
Lottie F
Millie F

Guinea
Eugene M

Ducks
Gilbert M
Jasper M
Jemima F
Daphne F

I like to name my birds names from the 30's-50's period, and names from our favorite old TV shows like Little House on the Prairie and I Love Lucy.
Naming things is my favorite, and I want them all to have unique, interesting names instead of things like Spot and Henny Penny. Not that those are bad, but the birds are all so beautiful and different the deserve cool names!

Bea(Name after a faveroite childhood author, Beatrix Potter)
Granite(She's a barred rock, Why not name her after a type of rock?)
Wisteriea(??? I have no clue why she's named that)
Blackie(she's black. No more to it)
Brownie(she's brown. No more to it.)
Raven(She looks sorta like a raven, I guess.)
Indigo(She has some blue feathers!)
Cinder(She is gray!)
DuckDuck(she's a duck. So she is DuckDuck.)
Harriet(Dont. Ask.)

Back
Top Bottom