What's in YOUR Emergency Poultry Kit?

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
9 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
I'm looking to compile a list of poultry-related items that could make up an emergency kit for those with flocks who may one day need those items to help their flock thrive and make it through. What sort of items do you stock for your animals, in case of some kind of emergency or health-related issues? "Vetericyn" is one recommendation I am adding, after prior use with this and experience with it. Corid being another. Any other ideas? Thank you!

Providing links here for myself (and the benefit of others) while working on article. DISCLOSURE, these are Amazon Affiliate links so if a product is purchased via the link, it helps support the Homestead a little 😉 :

Last edited:
I'm looking to compile a list of poultry-related items that could make up an emergency kit for those with flocks who may one day need those items to help their flock thrive and make it through. What sort of items do you stock for your animals, in case of some kind of emergency or health-related issues? "Vetericyn" is one recommendation I am adding, after prior use with this and experience with it. Corid being another. Any other ideas? Thank you!
Everything i can get hands on!
I keep running into issues with products that either get pulled from the shelves when I need them, or the stores not having them, and when I need something it’s not in a weeks time, it’s then and now!
I would suggest the typical meds for chickens, but also look into sterile surgical supplies from med websites

In my health kit:
Nutri-drench
Sav-a-chick
Antibiotic ointment
Gauze
Scissors
Vet wrap
Vetericyn (as you mentioned)
Baytril
Fishmox
Corid
Antifungal cream
Scalpel
Tweezers
Gloves
Headlamp
Styptic powder
Epsom salt
A baby swaddle
Heating pad

And because I live in fire country and evacuation is a real issue in summer:
A fishing net
Pics and my contact info for each chicken
Poultry shipping crates
A tent (for a temporary coop)

Baby aspirin for pain (one 81mg tablet daily for adult/approaching adulthood birds), a SHARP pair of scissors, sports wrap (this stuff sticks to itself great but doesn't stick to their skin/plumage so it's a wonderful way to bandage a wound or make a bootie, etc.), non-stick gauze, human b-vitamins without iron, human calcium tablets, a small bottle of pedialyte without iron, liquid riboflavin if you plan of hatching your eggs, neosporin-type triple antibiotic without pain reliever, saline solution (often found in the contact-lens wearer section of pharmacies, this will be used to flush wounds so a big bottle is fine), a few pounds of Epsom salt in a tightly sealed container. In addition to corid, consider also having on hand broad spectrum wormer for your poultry, the brands vary from country to country & location to location, ask your feed store. If you don't regularly keep cat food, sardines, mackerel or other high-protein meat products in your household, you might consider purchasing a couple of tins and placing those in your emergency kit as well, rotating them as their expiration date approaches; this handy, high-protein food is an excellent way to entice sick, injured or even molting bird(s) into eating, as most find the treat irresistible, even if you 'doctor' it with medicine. If you can obtain broad spectrum antibiotics without a prescription from your feed store, I'd suggest having a small, perhaps two-week supply on hand for one bird (ask your feed store about this).
This is my list of bare-bones, 'Gotta have it' essentials for a poultry Emergency Kit.

The reason I made that thread was to get the names of various meds used to treat chicken issues. I also want to list places to get them, like, does TSC have it? Local grocery or pharmacy? Get it online, and from where?

I keep reading threads along the lines of, "My chicken is doing XYZ. How to treat?" and seeing replies of, "Use ABC with this dosage."

But then I can't remember the names of the meds, other than the same ones keep popping up. So I'd like to make a list of the various meds that would be good to have on hand. I know some are cheap, but some aren't, so it would be a medicine chest that I collect as I can afford to.

I plan to let my neighbor (who got 16 chicks this spring) know what I have on hand. Really, am I going to need that whole 16 oz bottle of Corid? Probably not, but I would certainly share if she needed some.

Back
Top Bottom