What's killing the baby chicks???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bubblebee, Oct 8, 2014.

1. bubblebee

bubblebee New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    We have a chicken coop for the babies to keep them safe. It is inclosed where they are not able to get out. No noise was heard but we found 2 dead and one missing. No feathers are plucked or scattered. When you pick up the dead their bottoms are missing. Feet are there, feathers are fine, no blood or anything..... What is going on????

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Opossum or raccoon are my first guesses. Possibly a rat. Where do you live? What do you mean by bottoms missing?

3. karim gh

karim gh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2014
    In egypt there are manyPredators like snakes,rats,Weasels,Hawks,Crows and cats (wild and street cats )and thats Depending on your location

4. karim gh

karim gh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2014
    And desert gerbils can kill chicks

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto ...and...what kind of wire is on your coop?

Pics of coop could help us suggest better solutions.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    X2

You state the chicks cannot get out, but need to make sure it is fortified to prevent something from getting in. Photos can help get advice on protecting them from intruders.

7. bubblebee

bubblebee New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    We live in the Sandhills of NC. They chicks were actually eaten from the inside out it looks like. My son was actually in the yard when one of them was killed heard a little noise like a snorting sound and walked around and found another one dead. I'll try to get pics of the coup but it is made with chicken wire and wooden pallets and a roof. The chickens are not being bothered or making any sound when the chicks have been killed. And there's goats near the coop in their own fence that arnt making any sounds.

8. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas
    Chicken wire will keep chickens in, it will not keep predators out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by