What's One Accessory That's Made Chicken Life Better?

Pics
I have a fully enclosed run and wasn't planning on closing their doors. Should I be closing at night? Is it just for predators, or is it to keep heat in the winter mayber?
Probably depends on your winters. My rooster has decided he wants to sleep on the door sill. So my personnel door hasn't been closed in four years. I do not have long or very cold winters here.

We have two lights in our coop (its large, 10x16). One is on a pull chain to use when we need/want light to do something in the coop. The second is on a timer. It comes on around dusk and off after the coop door closes. We adjust the time as the sun adjusts throughout the year. We have Guineas who do not like to enter a dark buildimg so this gets them in (most of the time) before the door closes.
Same here... ours don't like coming into a dark bldg either. We have one on a timer that is fairly bright, dusk to dark. Just before that goes off, a strand of pretty dim LED lights come on for about an hour. The young ones tended to play around on the floor and when the lights went out, they couldn't see to go up to roost. So, the LED is a final warning.

Not sure if any or all of these count, but let me toss you what I've learned over the years:

*Squares of either carpet samples or plastic artificial "grass" in the bottoms of the nesting boxes add an additional layer of insulation, softness, and protection--but make sure it's not anything the hens can pull at, unravel, and ingest.

*Article on this coming up in Backyard Poultry Magazine by yours truly: if you have the poop boards, fill them with spent dried coffee grounds to act as "chicky litter" than can be scooped out. The chickens have no interest in eating the grounds--it's just another kind of dirt to them. The grounds and dropping make for an especially nitrogen-rich compost (cut with carbon such as grass clippings, sawdust, leaves, etc.).

*also in the article: If you have a local microbrewery, an occasional helping of their spent malt grains post-brewing makes for a boredom-busting treat, either soggy or dried. It's lousy in nutritional value, but most chickens LOVE the flavor. (So do horses, goats, pigs, cattle, etc.)

*A compost pile (of coffee grounds, droppings, etc.) accessible to the chickens when free-ranging can become their favorite playground, especially if you add some earthworms or other grubs for them to dig up and snack on!

Hey Everyone!

I got a few accessories for my chicks. The xylophone (which they just knock over and sit on), unbreakable mirror, some bird balls, and a small roost with little unbreakable mirrors on the side.

I got some laying mats for the brood boxes, larger, easy-clean/no-mess feeders/waterers for the run outside. I'm trying to think what else could make life a little better for the chicks when they're older. (I have some toys & vegetable ropes ready).

Is there anything that you didn't know you needed, that you're happy you had for your chickens? The closest farm store is 30+ minutes away which isn't too far, but I'd like to be ready for storms or anything else I might not anticipate in the future. I'd rather be prepared!

Also, I was not planning on putting any solar powered lights in the coop or run. I figured I wouldn't want a light shining while i'm trying to sleep- although the chicks sleep with a light on... What is the consensus on lights?

Thanks! :)
I made a swing for mine and they love it , 8 " wide , When they were a month old and could get on it,

Hey Everyone!

I got a few accessories for my chicks. The xylophone (which they just knock over and sit on), unbreakable mirror, some bird balls, and a small roost with little unbreakable mirrors on the side.

I got some laying mats for the brood boxes, larger, easy-clean/no-mess feeders/waterers for the run outside. I'm trying to think what else could make life a little better for the chicks when they're older. (I have some toys & vegetable ropes ready).

Is there anything that you didn't know you needed, that you're happy you had for your chickens? The closest farm store is 30+ minutes away which isn't too far, but I'd like to be ready for storms or anything else I might not anticipate in the future. I'd rather be prepared!

Also, I was not planning on putting any solar powered lights in the coop or run. I figured I wouldn't want a light shining while i'm trying to sleep- although the chicks sleep with a light on... What is the consensus on lights?

Thanks! :)
I have the same exact waterer as you! :)

Back
Top Bottom