Whats popular in Muscovy?

Chocolate is one of those colors that once you have it, its not going anywhere. Its one of the easiest colors to breed, so its sort of suprising its so popular. I agree its a stunning color, but I honestly would have thought blue fawns, Lavs, silvers.. something harder to breed for would have been it. This is really surprising to me.

My personal favorite is the blue fawn, I can't get enough of them.

Alot of people I know, and me myself wouldnt own a Blue Fawn or a Lilac, I know how to make them. But when breeding for show birds, as I am and most people that contact me for birds to buy, want good ones. I would never use one of those colors for a breeding for show birds.

Good chocolates are very hard to come by, Most I have seen are too small, not much caruncling, and as with say Blues and Blacks, Chocolates have lacing too which can make them stand out. Chocolates are not at all an easy color to breed. You have to really cull to get good birds.

I understand that show people would not want the other colors, just like we non show people don't want the heavy carcuncling. I do show poultry but would never show Muscovy for that reason, I want them to be able to see. Just like you won't ever own the fancier colors. Its a give and take.
since Im not breeding for show, I really enjoy the blue fawns.

As you know there are 2 types of Muscovy. They are easy to spot, the show birds have excess carcuncling, the farm birds don't. I prefer the farm birds. I don't care for the over exaggerated carcuncling.
This isn't ment to be a debate about what is better. You stated that you don't like colors that are not approved for show, and as someone showing, you shouldn't. I simply stated that I don't show, so I have freedom to enjoy allot more color choices, and I started why I don't care to show Muscovy. Its apples and oranges.

The topic was about what your favorite color is.. not are show birds better then farm birds and why. So.. lets please get back on topic.

Last edited:
I have a chocolate hen and only drakes that are mostly blk, will I get anymore chocolates out of that pairing? I love the chocolate but I also think the fawn is very pretty too, I think most people that aren't that familar with how many colors Muscovies come in would be blown away at all the colors so I'd say any color will be popular. It's so nice their are so many colors to choose from.

I agree, I just love the colors. All the animals on the farm come in ONE color. All but the Muscovy so its allot of fun to watch and see what you get. Its like Christmas every hatch. Chocolate is not only dominate but sex linked. If you have all chocolates then you have a receive Ch in your blacks, if you have some chocolates they are all boys as boys can carry one ch gene and be ch, where the girls can't. That said..
This is what the books tell you, Im sure there are exceptions to this rule somewhere. I have found it close to the truth however.

Quote:
I'm also wanting to put some Lavender into the mix. My oldest drake is getting on in years so would like to have at least a Lavender drake and duck to add to the flock, Your right the colors are so fantastic that it's a surprise in every hatch
smile.png

In my area (Maine) the different colors are what's popular right now. Lavender, buff (or cream), blue, and blue fawn. Most of my black pied birds and white birds went for meat because no one found them appealing. I have a bunch of chocolate hens, and only a few people have seemed interested in those.
I personally like the lavender and blues : ) and I love the barring, but I only have one hen with it. The pied birds are really pretty too, but I've found people around here prefer solids over pied.

I have Chocolate, Black, Chocolate pieds, Black Pieds, and a few Blue pieds. I also have one female that looks Bronze. I'll have to post her pic.

I'll looking to get more colors this spring. I'll be heavily hunting out Muscovy breeders and eggs all over the US. Especially since I don't have my Runners or Pekins any more. I want to concentrate on my Scovys.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom