Whats safe to plant around the coop? Plants, Herbs?

Just an idea, but you could always plant things you would plant in the garden. It would be the chickens' garden
lol.png
Since it's on the other side of the fence they couldn't get to the roots, but they could reach the shoots, leaves, stems, fruit whenever it grows near enough.

Quote:
hubby is building our new coop too! Same spot next to garden area.....sure don't wanna put anything in there that would hurt them and its the perfect spot for t he coop!! Hope we hear something good soon!! As its def time to be plantin the garden!!

I have an open air coop with a partial roof and chicken wire on all four sides....

I have debated on what to plant on the outside to vine up the chicken wire to provide shade.....

some suggestions I received were grape vines and any berries that can be 'vined' up the chicken wire....

But I was also wanting some color so have definitely decided on a bougainvillea for one side and maybe some climbing rose vines, both being chick safe.

We are redoing our chicken coop and so far the plan is to set the run part up on cinder blocks so we can make a sand pit area for easier clean up.

The thing thats got me stumped now is what to plant in the cinder blocks that the chickens can peck on and enjoy but will live through it.

The plants wont be right in the run, more along the outside(in the cinderblock spaces) so only what grows through the wire will get eaten.

So whatcha all think I should plant?
Keep in mind I can use whatever is planted as well (herbs, flowers) and hopefully in time the plants get big enough to offer shade.

p.s no grape vines or blackberry/raspberry/elderberry. I have those planted elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom