What's so special about Silkies? [got them!]

Yeah..... I got a silkie this year and it made the most adorable cooing sounds...BUT I just didn't fall in love with it!! I think I will stick with Welsummers and EEs!!

Quote:
How can you say that?
th.gif
I'm the turken/naked neck chicken lady. Lol. But anyways,silkies are so adorable to most people and are the sweetest chickens! I have a rooster who is the most friendly in my whole flock of 80 or so chickens! Also,they're great mothers and great first timer pets. Their feathers are like fur -- and people like that because their cool! Also,they have black skin. Don't forget,they make good pillows!
lol.png
If you think that silkies and turkens are ugly,wait till you see this-

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...24959585_100000027067313_934295_4889947_n.jpg

sickbyc.gif

I've decided that if I were to get one, it'd only be because they'll raise chicks. I have a BO and two Old English Game bantams, that are old enough to lay, and none of them have tried to be broody. They're only a year old though, so that might have something to do with it.
I still think they're ugly.
tongue.gif

You want something that'll go broody in under a year,yet not a silkie? I have the BEST BROODERS around. They'll sit on eggs forever! I've had mine sit for about 5 months with or without eggs. They're serama/japenese mixes. Mine go broody all the time,In fact I've hatched turkeys under them and they accept them. I've had silkies,but none of them were that good brooders. My hen never went broody. I'll try again.
fl.gif

They're also sweet and cute! I just sold like 10 of them to people who needed to hatch eggs.
198198_210056989005202_100000027067313_881922_6469459_n.jpg

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I've decided that if I were to get one, it'd only be because they'll raise chicks. I have a BO and two Old English Game bantams, that are old enough to lay, and none of them have tried to be broody. They're only a year old though, so that might have something to do with it.
I still think they're ugly.
tongue.gif

You want something that'll go broody in under a year,yet not a silkie? I have the BEST BROODERS around. They'll sit on eggs forever! I've had mine sit for about 5 months with or without eggs. They're serama/japenese mixes. Mine go broody all the time,In fact I've hatched turkeys under them and they accept them. I've had silkies,but none of them were that good brooders. My hen never went broody. I'll try again.
fl.gif

They're also sweet and cute! I just sold like 10 of them to people who needed to hatch eggs.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...89005202_100000027067313_881922_6469459_n.jpg

She's pretty, looks like she would be a good mom too.
smile.png

I haved owned layers and silkies and I love them! I do agree that itd be nice if they were large fowl and yeah they dont lay very much but how many roosters do you know thatll sit on a clutch of eggs? Mine does! BUt they need less space less feed and we use them for our FFA petteing zoo so they have to friendly! they dont run off and they cant fly so their ideal for small poultry setups and neighborhoods. But its all a matter of opinion i suppose, but if you get one you will love it! Little chicken lady these are the ones i had that passed away that i was telling you about...

Izetta Belle
57908_img_7432.jpg

Evan
57908_img_8842.jpg

Last edited:
The first time I saw a silkie I was home sick from work and caught an episode of Tori & dean. I would never watch it on a good day but this was the day she had her Silkie chickens on. I was amazed. FFWD and now I have 5 silkie chicks and 2 polish. I adore my silkies. I mean, who wouldn't want a bunch of muppets out roaming around? The nice thing about silkies is if you don't care for them, there are a ton of other choices.

164539_1631363796486_1608368062_31462836_1453401_n.jpg

WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!? xD
Nah...I'll give you my real reasons. Also, her name is Yeta...because I think she looks like a Yeti and there was a Yeti in LoZ:Twilight Princess named Yeta.
ANYWAY....
She's terribly friendly, makes adorable noises (They almost have their own language, they sing.) They are very good brooder birds. She'll sit on anything and raise anything! She's great.
They are very cold hardy and heat resistant.
Other than, she's flippin' adorable...those are my reasons...and they apply for all my Silkies....she's just my first and my favorite.

I would also like to add that no, they are not high maintenance at all!
I know they all look like they get baths and what-not constantly, but no...they don't.
They keep themselves clean, just like everyone else.
I've always wanted one and Yeta was the marshmallowiest one there...so here we are.
tongue.png

65734_1631378876863_1608368062_31462892_4278145_n.jpg

That's Gamma...my rooster. <3 Handsome beast.

Back
Top Bottom