Whats the Best bedding for a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MakNat, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Just that! I've tried various things and seem to sometimes get pasty butt...

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    My understanding is that pasty butt is caused by them being too cold - has nothing to do with the bedding. Try turning up the heat a little and see if that helps?

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    For some reason only my silkies get pasty butt. Clean them off well with a warm paper towel. Then take a q-tip, dip it in olive oil and apply to the vent area.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:[​IMG] I've had 2 slkies get it. The current one is in with ameracauna/cochin crosses and the last one was in with Marans. Only the silkies got pasty butt. Weird.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use paper towels as bedding for the first week to two weeks depending upon the number of chicks.

6. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I've only brooded two hatches...well, I'm two weeks into my second...the first batch were Serama's, and the newest one are Silkies. I keep the temp a bit higher then needed the whole time, but they have plenty of room to get away from it if they want, and I've had no one paste up on me at all. I use paper towels till they get the hang of where the food and water are, then just pine shavings.

7. Paraclete 2

Paraclete 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    I have to agree with riftnreef, paper towels for the entire first week. Then I go to pine shavings. I also use horse beding pellets. They actually are more absorbent that even the pine shavings are and don't tend to foul the water near as much. Good luck with all your babies.

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I've only brooder once, but the pine pellets were AMAZING. Scoopable, stirrable, and they keep the smell down pretty well.

As soon as you have a water spill they puff up real high and get into everything, though, so secure your water.

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I think more people would say pasty butt could be caused by the temp too high versus too low. Mix a little yogurt ( plain with live cultures in their food). I had a terrible time with it and someone suggested putting a little bowl of sand in the brooder. Haven't had a problem since!

10. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I really thought pasty butt was because they ate the bedding... Well its good to know its temp related!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by