1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the BEST Nest Box Material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBantyCoop, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TheBantyCoop

TheBantyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Thanks to the both of you! Hay was my go to nest box material, until I realized that I'm allergic to it....[​IMG]

2. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Yeah, I didn't think about that. Haha, sounds like something my girls would do!

3. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
  4. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Thanks for the reply! Do you think that there would be a difference between aspen and pine shavings? All I know is that aspen is a hard wood and pine is a soft one, but I'm not even sure what that means....

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Now if you are lazy and your goal is to get in and out of the hen house as quick as possible.
    Plus if your chickens already are laying in your soon to be soiled nest boxes and if you get your feed bags in 50lb nylon mesh bags.
    This is the method for you.

Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³ and the bag runs up the sides and the back a few inches). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
    Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    My feed bags are paper. They only work well in nest box balled up to block them off to keep a young flock from learning to roost in them.

With hay fever I'd just use whatever you use in your coop for bedding. Be it dried leaves or pine shavings. Keep it simple.

7. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

8. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Nope not lazy, but I'm defiantly pressed for time in the morning when I first check on the birds! It's an awesome looking method, not sure its right for me though! I have paper feed bags :)

9. TheBantyCoop

Jun 9, 2015
    The California Coast
    Ok, thanks :)

10. Ballerina Bird

Ballerina Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    I like pine shavings. I cut rosemary and put it in the coop. It is supposed to repel mites. I don't know if that's totally true, but I don't have mite problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by