What's the deal with the USDA Scrapie Tag?

They are the law here too. You are not even suppossed to sale your goat or sheep to anyone else without a tag already in the ear. Auctions will not take untagged animals. If you are keeping a wether and taking it directly to slaughter yourself then it is exempt from a tag but you wouldn't be able to show it or anything like that.

ETA: All intact animals must have tags by law even if you are taking them to slaughter. So all market ewes/rams/does/bucks will have tags even if they are never used for breeding purposes.

Last edited:
Is this something fairly new or by state.. I showed goats in 4-h and sold them at the fair auction and never needed this... I am wondering cause I will be getting goats again soon for my 7 yr old to show

NATION WIDE-possible world wide. I think they look kinda cute on my Nubian girls, like that goat with the earring in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. We dont' even go across state lines, but if you transport animals off your property, they better be scrapied. It's possible that it's genetic, so they usually have the breeder tag. AT least, that's how it was explained to me.

Its new here,they just implemented it a month or 2 ago... or 3...just rember them say that all sheep and goats a certian age had to have em or the owner whould be charged 4 bucks each if the sale barn had to do it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom