What's the difference between blue and lavender?

Yes, lavender does dilute red and black. When lavender is applied to buff, it would produce a lighter buff, almost cream colored plumage. There shouldn't be any grayish color if buff is consistent throughout. The gray is produced by diluting black. When we were working on our lavender birds, we did get various shades of lavender dilution, from very dark to very light grays, but no one seemed to know what caused that. There is really not much research on lavender, so most everything is trial and error from my understanding.

Psssttt... Listen to Hinkjc, I got MY Lavender orpingtons pictured from HER stock.
big_smile.png

Lavender diluted buff is called isabel. It isn't cream coloured--more like a soft tan or pale wheaten. In the standard's description of porcelain it refers to the colour as "straw."

Isabel porcelain is not the same as lavender diluted buff, if buff is true buff colored plumage throughout (which it should be according to the standard). This is where confusion with names come into play, as I believe the silkie variety is using this name, which is an inaccurate name imo. Porcelain is the result of lavender on mille fleur, not buff.

According to the calculator and some of my own theory, it would take some work, but the end result of diluting buff (as in buff orpington) with lavender would be a lemon/cream color if correct selections are made.

My mention of porcelain was merely to state how the standard describes the lavender diluted buff colouration: straw. Yes, porcelain is a mille fleur pattern. Mille fleur contains black, buff and white colours. Porcelain contains lavender, isabel and white colours. Isabel is not necessarily in a porcelain pattern, but is any lavender diluted buff. Take a pure buff bird with no black pigment, add two copies of lav and you have a pure isabel bird. I wasn't referring to silkies or their projects, but to the colour itself. Sorry for the confusion; I should have made my post clearer..

My understanding of isabel porcelain is that it is a lavender diluted mille fleur. I think it is confusing to refer to that color, when that is not what would be obtained by doing a cross to dilute buff with lavender. There is no mottled (mo/mo) gene in buff or lavender, however there is in isabel porcelain. A lav diluted buff would look a very pale buff, almost cream colored. I guess thay may depend on what shade of buff you're starting with, as to what the end color would dilute to. It surely can vary, but it would be a solid colored bird (if that was the goal to end with a pure lav diluted buff). There would be opportunities to get other color varieties in this cross along the way, however I won't go into that since that wasn't the question.

eta - sorry kathy. I didn't mean to stray so far from your original topic. I hope you don't mind me responding to other questions that came up along the way. I'll defer back to the OP now.

Last edited:
Quote:
Isabel does not require mottle; it is not porcelain, or at least not necessarily so. Isabel refers to the lavender diluted buff feathers, not to the mille fleur/porcelain pattern which does require mottle. Genetics of Chicken Colours has photos showing various buff and diluted buffs side by side: dilution by different genes causes a slightly different phenotype. It also shows isabel, isabel partridge and isabel partridge cuckoo as well as porcelain.

Here is a photo of my birds; the one in front is the colour obtained by crossing lavender into buff:
20590_imgp0043--cropped.jpg

Sonoran Silkies, what generation is that lavender x buff silkie pictured??

also do they breed true after breeding lav=(black) to buff then crossing again of the off spring from the lav x buff chicks?? or do you get a whole mess of other colors breeding different all the different future lines..

Do you have any roo's in that crossing to see??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom