What's the one thing you wish you had included in your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaryJanet, Jul 26, 2019.

1. jlwquilter

jlwquilter Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    West Palm Beach FL
    Definitely more space. My main coop is 8x14 feet and I wish it was double the size at least. Mainly so I can put more stuff in it to have things on hand and still have plenty of space for the birds to move around in.

I have all the usual predators. I use garden/fence posts laid down triple wide along the secured area as a dig barrier. I use big pine logs along the bottom of the electric fence as a dig barrier there.

I did see a hawk on the power wire earlier today. I may have to think about overhead protection soon. With the 2 coops and a canopy between them I’m thinking/hoping a winged predator may not have a good attack flight path.

2. Water is my complaint also. Thankfully hubby ran a pipe out of the barn to a hose for me. Still haul a little ways but it’s okay.

3. Kris5902

Kris5902 Free Ranging

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    You can sometimes keep hoses and pipes from freezing by allowing them to leak a little. We had a cold snap of -20C the winter I decided it was time to move somewhere warmer again, I had a leaky bathroom faucet, just a drip every 2 or 3 seconds. I was one of the few people in town with any running water (no heat tape or insulation under the mobile home I was renting back then)

4. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Raised poop boards under the roosts. I still might try to go back and add some. Would like to hear from those that have them how they made them.

More space would be nice too, but I went as big as I could.

5. MaryJanet

MaryJanet Crowing

Dec 24, 2018
    Adelaide, South Australia
    I've just realised I should make the human door wide enough for the wheelbarrow so cleaning out is easier.

6. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

My Spoiled Chickens requested a Karaoke Machine, Beer Meister and Gas BBQ Grill. I told them the Grill was out of the question as they are Irresponsible and would likely burn the coop to the ground! The rest is just too expensive. They settled for an Outdoor WiFi Stereo System that they could link their IPhones to and run their various Playlists on. I'm ok with the music as long as they keep it down...JJ

7. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    You might consider having a raised coop so the chickens can go underneath it for shelter, and it also increases the square footage of your run (if your coop is inside the run that is)

8. MaryJanet

MaryJanet Crowing

Dec 24, 2018
    Adelaide, South Australia
    :gig:gig:gig:gig
    I was thinking mirror ball and tickets to see The Wiggles :lau:lau:lau:lau

9. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Wiring for power and running water would be amazing. :drool

10. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Beer Meister is conjuring up a good visual!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: