What's the one thing you wish you had included in your coop?

Pics
Giant eaves, an Automatic door for opening in the morning, and automatic waterers, or at least a hose and running water to reach all the pens (can you tell I just finished lugging all my water out for tomorrow morning for all 54 chickens in 7 different locations over about 2/3 an acre?). I wouldn’t trust a door to close the girls up at night though, I need to do an evening headcount... but not having to get outside so early every morning would be nice!

Has anyone tried paving an apron around the coop perimeter? Would this keep foxes and dogs out?

My 1/2 inch hardware cloth that covers the coop comes down to the ground and there is a good foot or more that goes on the ground to prevent any digging in, covered with dirt and plants. We've had the coop for over four years and have never had any rats, or other animals get into it! Either we've been awfully lucky, or it is really buttoned up tightly! Also, since it is built at the top of a sloped yard next to the garage, the naturally hard sand and clay foundation covered with regular sand or builder's sand makes for such easy cleanup!! The rain actually filters through the sand and cleans the coop (and we've had our share of rain)! I'm so glad I took the advice of others and used sand instead of straw or shavings, which when first I tried, were usually soggy and smelly!

Has anyone said "more money"?

In all seriousness, we just finished our coop about a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. Went with a dirt floor, but I can't express how much going nuts with the hardware cloth is worth. I went NUTS. My coop is 8x16. I began by digging about 8 inches of sod/soil out from the entire area, and set it aside. After sinking posts, squaring, and attaching the pressure treated 2x6 base boards, I attached hardware cloth to the entire thing. I wove it all together, which wasn't as big of a pain in the arse as I thought it would be. Once the rest of the basic frame was up, I added the chunks of sod and dirt back on top of the hardware cloth along with lots of rocks.
The entire frame is also covered in hardware cloth. So. Much. Hardware cloth.
Here's a crappy far off pic. I'm terrible with documenting.
20190727_174709.jpg

Wonderful! Made me tired hearing about all your work though.
MORE MONEY is always Number One! And a related issue; having 'staff'.
Mary
Teehee — Thanks! It sure made me tired too.

More money and more stuff... that's exactly right.

I did take photos when I went to lock them up this evening. Crappy cell pics, but they'll do.
20190805_203048.jpg
20190805_203104.jpg

@honanbm this is close to what I'm imagining for my own coop, but with a few adaptations for my lifestyle (I often travel for my job so they need a big, safe run) and my hot, dry climate.
I look forward to seeing it! I really enjoy the coop builds. Always good reads full of awesome ideas. I'd have loved to open things even more, but it gets pretty darn wet here in the pacific northwest for a good portion of the year, so opted for having one side a bit more covered. I love looking at the open air coops in dryer regions.
Will you post a link to your build here so we can all see what you come up with?

Back
Top Bottom